Password: Log In:
Radio Control Zone » RC Car Action: Forums » General Vehicle Forums » Nitro Vehicles » Kyosho Inferno/Turbo Inferno Forum

Notices

Nitro Vehicles Discussion related to Nitro On-Road and Off-Road Vehicles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2001, 07:48 PM
Einsteindks

Kyosho Inferno/Turbo Inferno Forum

I figured this is a group of cars not yet represented here. I still have one of each, but they share the same radio tray. My Inferno has an OS RG-G and CVEC pipe, the Turbo has an OS RZ-Z with a tuned pipe. I've found both ball bearing steering systems and use both, one in each. Also, I've found that the Duratrax multi-disk brake system is virtually unmatched in performance when the fiberglass disks are used.
Sponsored Links

Old 07-18-2001, 07:41 PM
oso

i also have an inferno, it has no hop ups except for bearings at the axle hubs, and its been a great fun to drive. The only problem is to keep the temperature of the kyosho gs21 engine lower than 300 to 310F. I dont race at a track but even my 8 years old daughter loves to drive it (mainly against anything she can hit).
Old 07-19-2001, 07:42 PM
Einsteindks

When you need a new engine, try the OS RG-G. Inexpensive, responsive, and reliable. Aside from that, (you've cut out some flow-through holes, right?) try a slightly richer mixture -- open up the highend 1/4 turn. My Inferno loves the RG-G, it's my 'fun' car. My Turbo Inferno has the RZ-Z. That one's my rippin' car!
Old 07-26-2001, 10:31 AM
oso

Yes I have cut vent holes and richen the mixture, the best temp I've obtained is about 300F. I read an article at rcca magazine about the inferno mp6 with the gs21 engine, and it seem to be a problem with the carb. so by now i'll wait untill the engine is run out to change the engine. Thanks for the advise about the oz engine.
Old 07-28-2001, 03:46 AM
Einsteindks

OOOOHHHHHHHhhhh, I didn't know you had a Kyosho engine. I thought you had gone the way of most folks and put in one of the engines in from any of the engine-specific companies out there. Not too surprising you're having trouble with an engine from a model maker. They generally don't have the expertise to make a reliable engine.
Old 07-30-2001, 11:45 PM
oso

it really hasn't been a bad engine, it just runs hot, besides that it has been good for bashing around and learn about it and the car, without risking a more expensive equipment. Untill now I have enjoyed it very much, as it has enough power and speed to let me increase my habilities, and understand how the car handles and how should it be drive.
Old 08-01-2001, 07:26 AM
vetrider

It might not be that your engine is that hot. Try borrowing at least two temp guns from some people at a track/hobby shop to compair. Some MIP Temp guages are way out of calibration, assuming your using one.

[ 08-01-2001: Message edited by: vetrider ]
Old 08-01-2001, 08:44 PM
oso

I use a raytek temp gun to measure it, and that's the lowest temp I've obtained. The carb is set to the richest setting possible withot making the engine unreliable. This seems to be a problem the older gs21 engines have.
Old 08-17-2001, 03:04 PM
SteveP

I just picked up a brand new Turbo Inferno from a nice guy down in FL who never had the time to build it. I don't think I'll run it because I have other current 1/8 race cars, but it's a pretty cool car. Now I just have to find the proper engine for the car. I think the O.S. RZ-B was the engine to have at the time this buggy came out.
Old 08-17-2001, 08:38 PM
Einsteindks

Close Steve, it was the RX-B. Nowadays, the RZ line is a sweet option for this car. I'd recomend a ball-bearing steering system and Duratrax'x multi disk brake system for basic hop-ups. Duratrax also made some chassis braces to stiffen it up, too. To keep the front shock tower and front shock tops looking nice, I installed some small fender washers on the mounting bolts, right against the shock tower. In case, no, WHEN it rolls over, the washers will take the damage.
Old 08-19-2001, 10:56 AM
SteveP

I don't think I'm going to run it. It doesn't feel like that car is too old, but it was introduced in 1990. That car is 12 almost 12 years old! If you guys ever find a new-in-box RX-B, let me know.
Old 08-19-2001, 11:37 AM
DesertRacer

This is a little bit out of the box… But speaking of old Kyosho’s, I have a Burns that I purchased in 1987 with an OPS Buggy Pro engine - it still rips! Nothing ever breaks – it just wears parts out and I replace them (Nitro Crusher Parts). Last weekend I was ripping up a field with it!

When I bought the Burns I seem to remember I paid over $500 for it. A lot of money! My wife gave me a hard look (back then) when I kicked out the dough. Last weekend she was out with me kicking up dust – she said “That’s probably the best money you ever spent, you really got your fun out of it”.

The old cars are amazing! Now my eight year old son is enjoying it.
Old 08-22-2001, 11:06 PM
oso

Steve you have a car that you'll enjoy very much, as I have enjoyed my inferno dx.
And desertracer, I think we all have hone the same way with our wives, but they're right we really have fun out of it, don't we?

Jose Manuel
Old 09-05-2001, 06:25 PM
Rotorranch

I still have a Turbo Burns, and an Inferno. Both cars are still great! I had O.S. RX-B engines in both, but bought a Paris-Picco P-5 mod with the trick con rod just before the 3rd Kyosho gas challenge at Georgia Hobby Center in Fayetteville,GA. Both O.S. engines are due for rebuilds, but the Paris-Picco still screams! The Turbo Burns/RX-B ran at the 1st Kyosho cahllenge in Champaign, IL, and the 2nd Kyosho Challenge in Detroit. I had the inferno in Detroit, but it was real new and not dialed in near as good as the T. Burns.

I still love those cars! Never any wierd breakage problems like my son's Ofna MBX R2's. They are like the Energizer Bunny....just keep going, and going......

And I really tick off my buddy with his new Ultra Worlds 2, and my son. They just can't keep up with the old dinosaurs.

Sure would like to find a spare T-Burns body. I just mounted the last new spare I had, and hate to not have a replacement. I have one more of the "bootleg" Inferno bodies that were going around; wouldn't mind finding a couple of those either.

Rotor
Old 09-14-2001, 04:57 PM
maxxxracer

Lets bring this forum back from the dead. I am getting a Mp6, and i was wondering if there is anything i should know?
Old 09-14-2001, 09:35 PM
Einsteindks

Duratrax's multi-disk brake system is an excellent upgrade to start with. Next, I'd look for a ball bearing steering setup. What engine you looking to use? Radio?
Old 09-14-2001, 11:23 PM
maxxxracer

The one im getting comes with a os RG engine. I was going to get the Hardcore multi disk set up. For radio I am using the lynx 3d with airtronics 94258 and 94257 servos.
Old 09-16-2001, 10:25 AM
Einsteindks

While not a competition grade engine, the OS RG will still let you have a lot of fun and be a little more forgiving if you don't know how to tune an engine yet. Radio setup sound good. Dont forget to put in a throttle return spring to close the carb if you have battery/signal problems. My Infernos have one each. One end around the slide valve ballend, the other hooked onto the center diff housing top plate. A coreless servo at the throttle will let the spring do its thing a WHOLE lot easier than a regular servo.
Old 09-16-2001, 02:41 PM
maxxxracer

well actually i have to use 2 throttle return springs with my throttle servo. It just laughs at one of them. Along with the throttle retrun springs I am going to use a dynamite safe gaurd thing just to make shure it doesnt go crazy.

Oh, I do know how to tune engines very well. OS engines are a sinch to tune.

[ 09-16-2001: Message edited by: maxxxracer ]
Old 09-17-2001, 09:38 PM
Einsteindks

If you have the rubber sealed bearings, clean up will be a snap. Remove the radio tray, cap off all openings, and 'hose' it off with Simple Green and a toothbrush. Don't forget to put a drop or two of lube in each drive joint at the front and rear diffs when you're done.
Old 09-17-2001, 11:23 PM
maxxxracer

thanks for the tip.
Old 10-26-2001, 09:29 PM

With winter time coming up, anyone ever run your Burns/Inferno series buggy in the snow? How about some tips, storries, etc.

I made some 'chains' for mine a while back. They worked alright, but I couldn't get them tight enough to stay in place on the tire assembly. Too much power (such a thing?) going to the wheels. It did make for some good six foot rooster tails of snow!
Old 12-28-2001, 11:06 PM

Inferno History .... Options

Just digging into the options for my DX to upgrade and came across lots of variations for this buggy over the years.

Turbo Inferno
InfernoST
Inferno DX
Inferno DXII
Inferno MP5
Inferno MP5 Long Wheelbase (option)
Inferno MP6
Inferno MP6 Sports
Inferno MP6 International
Inferno MP7.5
Inferno MP7.5 Kanai Worlds Edition

I may have forgotten a few but you get the point. Just an FYI.

How have you other DX owners upgraded from the basic kit?
Old 12-29-2001, 01:16 AM

I have a Turbo Inferno and an Inferno that's been built up to a Turbo Inferno (you forgot to list the 'regular' Inferno!). They share a radio system; the tray gets swaped between the two. The Inferno ST is a truck version. It got bigger tires/wheels. You also forgot the Inferno Landmax. Once again, all same chassis, but with narrower suspension arms. This series has undergone some changes to its current version.
Old 12-29-2001, 09:39 AM

Don't forget the Burns, Burns DX and Turbo Burns...