Password: Log In:

Notices

Bodies, Painting & Detailing This forum is for all discussion of the world of painting and detailing your RC vehicles.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2000, 12:25 AM
99DECH

Best Way to Make Mounting Holes in Body

ok guys, im about to cut the holes out of my first RC body so i can get it mounted and go out and enjoy the new car.

Whats the best way of making the holes?

also, is it CRUCIAL that i cut out part of the front windshield on my body, or can i just cut the "drivers" side window (this is on a Nitro RS4-2)

The car is all put together but the only problem i can see is my rear tires have a bit of "toe-in" lean. The dog bone joints seem a little loose but everything appears to be put together properly. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2000, 01:12 AM
Distro

find a dirll bit the size of the body mount and drill away (hopfully you marked the hole on the body before you painted it so you know were it is otherwise it will be tough, and cut out the front window about 55% of teh driver side (So it goes to the passanger side alittle that should give you goo air flow, also cut out some of the back window.
Old 09-13-2000, 02:43 AM
gotgas

99DECH
Distro gave some great advice on marking the body post before painting. And what to cut.
I like to use an old screw driver that is about 1/4" in diam. to make holes for the mounts. It gives a smooth clean finish.
Another thing about cutting the cooling holes. Mark the area that you wish to cut out and use sissors to cut close to the lines. Once you do this and if you have a dermel tool use the sanding drum and 150 grit paper to finish "cutting" to the lines. A hobby knife can then be used to scrape away the left over melted lexan that sticks to the edges.
Good Luck and have fun
Old 09-13-2000, 07:08 AM
ou812

For years I had been opening my body mount holes with a hobby knife, spinning it like a drill. This works okay until the hole gets much bigger than 1/8". After that it takes some care not to end up with an egg shaped hole.

For my last set of bodies, I bought the Factory Team Reamer for $22. At first I was put off by the expense, but after having used it, this thing is pretty cool. Make a small hole, then just ream it out to the size you want. Pretty slick.

My opinion of cooling holes is that the more air you get to the engine, the happier the engine will be. Check out R/C Car action's web page - they've got an article up that appeared a few issues back about mounting lexan bodies. I used their methods this last time around and they seem to know what they're talking about.

------------------
OU812
Oh, you ate one too?
Old 09-13-2000, 01:41 PM
obmd

I hope you know where the holes are supposed to be. Always mark your body before painting it!!. I use a dremmel tool with a small reamer to cut my holes; it works great. you have to cut out some of the winshield if you have a nitro car. Also cut out some of the back so that the air can flow through or else it will slow down your car!!
Old 09-13-2000, 08:07 PM
Piester

I never worry about marking hte mounting holes when I painted my cars. Just take some chalk, small dab of paint, or my favorite liquid paper put it on top of the body mounts and then set the car body on that, pick it up and you have your marking. Works great.
Old 09-13-2000, 09:41 PM
ou812

If you're putting the body that came with your kit on your NRS4-2, the body should be dimpled where all the holes need to be (at least, my Lotus body matched pretty well). It'd be good to try to check things out before you cut, though. You can sometimes do this in a dimly lit room with a good flashlight if you've already painted the body.

------------------
OU812
Oh, you ate one too?
Old 09-13-2000, 10:43 PM
I R Racer

A body reamer is the best way. It gives perfectly round holes and you can cut them in about 5 seconds each. If you buy a reamer at a hobby shop they are about $20-$25, if you go to a hardware, they are about $5.