Password: Log In:

Notices

Hot News and New Stuff Forum Cars, Trucks, Boats Up-to-the minute news on the latest kits, RTRs, parts, accessories and more. Be sure to subscribe!

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 10:46 AM
Online News Editor

Losi RTR 1/5 4WD Desert Buggy XL

Latest from Losi:

The Losi® Desert Buggy XL™ vehicle is ready to deliver high impact RC excitement. This 1/5-scale gas-powered powerhouse attacks the terrain with a relentless 4WD drivetrain and a 23cc gas engine that delivers over 40 minutes of driving.

Built big and bold to deliver high impact excitement, the Losi® Desert Buggy XL™ vehicle makes its presence known with a roaring 23cc gasoline engine. The engineers at Losi designed this 1/5th-scale powerhouse to withstand the rigors of intense off-road driving with a terrain-killing 4WD drivetrain and a heavy-duty construction that pulverizes the terrain at ballistic speeds. With a rigid injection molded roll cage built on a reinforced 5mm aluminum chassis, the Desert Buggy XL can withstand the punishment of the most brutal driving styles. The Desert Buggy XL is also in for the long haul with a large-capacity gas tank that provides over 40 minutes of relentless action on a full tank. When maintenance is a necessity, the roll cage can be removed for easy access to the chassis. The Losi Desert Buggy XL vehicle is large scale RC driving excitement at its most satisfying.

Features
  • Full 4WD capabilities
  • Pull start 23cc gasoline engine
  • Machined ring and pinion gear
  • 740cc gas tank
  • Integrated adjustable servo saver
  • 5mm aluminum chassis
  • Dual disk brakes
  • Sealed differentials
  • Spektrum™ DX2E 2.4GHz radio system included

Product Specifications

Type: 4WD RTR Off-Road Gas Buggy
Scale: 1/5
Length: 30.75 in (781mm)
Width: 19.1 in (485.1mm)
Height: 12.25 in (311.1mm)
Ground Clearance: 3.1 in (78.7mm)
Wheelbase: 22.0 (558.8mm)
Weight: 28.7 lb (13.01 kg)
Chassis: 4mm Plate, 6061-T6 Aluminum
Suspension: Independent
Drivetrain: 4WD
Tire Type: All-Terrain 7.8 in (198.1mm) Diameter
Motor or Engine: 23cc CY Engine
Radio: Spektrum DX2E 2-Channel
Servos: Installed
Batteries: Dynamite 1700 mah Receiver Pack
Wheel Size: 4.75 in (120.65mm)
Shock Type: Oil-Filled, Coil-over Springs
Body: Panels, Silkdcreened
Ball Bearings: Full Ball Bearing Drivetrain
Fuel Tank Capacity: 740cc
Experience Level: Intermediate
Recommended Environment: Outdoor
Is Assembly Required: No

Needed to Complete
  • 87–93 Octane Gasoline
  • 2-Cycle Oil
  • Gas Can
  • Battery Charger

LOS05001 - $999.99

trevord@airage.com
rccanews@airage.com
http://www.rccaraction.com
Sponsored Links

Old 11-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

Wow, didn't see this coming. Pretty sweet.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:10 PM

NICE! If I had somewhere to run it, I'd definitly get one!
Old 11-21-2013, 02:13 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

I want to like this, I really do. Good drive train, solid suspension and mechanicals it looks like....But in my eyes, visually it looks like an overgrown Redcat buggy.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_School_RC_1 View Post
I want to like this, I really do. Good drive train, solid suspension and mechanicals it looks like....But in my eyes, visually it looks like an overgrown Redcat buggy.
It reminds me of my Exo Terra....
Old 11-21-2013, 02:41 PM

It has a nice look to it, but I think I would prefer if it had longer suspension travel. It looks a little like an overgrown 1/8 scale, which is bound to be good for performance on a track, but I would rather see more roll and butter smooth running over ruts. Like real class-1 buggies.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:56 PM
Got Baja?

Is it possible to please people in this hobby? Losi brings out a 4WD 1/5 scale for a grand and people actually complain about it? The 5ive-T is $1600, so people complain about the price and Losi listens, now people are complaining this one looks cheap?

This will definitely be the next addition to my 1/5 scale fleet. I don't expect this to be as bulletproof as my 5ive-T, but it sure looks like fun, and for the price it looks incredible.

"Everything in moderation, including moderation."
Old 11-21-2013, 04:48 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

I'm not complaining. Just observing. It is indeed a lot of buggy for the money, that's for sure.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:36 PM

I like it! The SC trucks look fantastic but have inherent "crap gathering" capabilities that kinda push me away. I like the buggy style.

Where's AE's offering? That's when the prices will start to fall.

-Eric
Old 11-22-2013, 12:42 AM

meh... i don't dislike it. but i don't like it ether.
bugs me that it's 4wd and RTR. real buggys are 2wd.
what id want in a 1/5 scale is a 2wd 5ive trophy truck in kit form at this things price point.

frankly i still like the HPI 1/5 scale best. get the truck and throw the kraken RC class 1 TSK on it and it's just flat out cool. or the class 1 TSK-B on a 5B SS. maybe if i win the lottery
Old 11-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Got Baja?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbnHooligan View Post
...maybe if i win the lottery
If you say a grand to get into 1/5 is too rich for your blood, then why should they listen to what you want? You've already stated that you're not a potential customer. That's like Ferrari going to a soup kitchen and asking the people there what they'd like to see on their next model.

Why in the world does it "bug you" that this is 4WD and RTR? There is already a 2WD kit buggy on the market. There has been for over 5 years. Why would Losi come out with a competitor for that? There isn't a popular 4WD buggy out there right now (in the US at least), so it makes more sense to bring out something different than the established Baja line.

I agree that the Baja line is awesome. I've got 3 of them put together and enough parts to build at least 1, if not 2, more. One of them has the Kraken Class 1 TSK on it, and it is awesome, but the Kraken kit alone is 3 bills, plus the Baja to go under it. This thing is 4WD and RTR for a grand. The HPI 2WD RTR is almost $1100. I really fail to see how this thing is anything but awesome, especially when factoring in price.

I absolutely understand wanting to see this in kit form. I wish every vehicle in this hobby was available in kit form. It is all I would buy given the choice, but RTR's are more popular, and if my option is to buy an RTR or own the car at all, then I'll buy the RTR. I'd prefer to build it from the ground up because it's fun and I enjoy the process, but I can't do that if I don't buy the car at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to metalry101 For This Useful Post:
packhntr (11-22-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 05:27 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

LOL, I'm glad its 4WD!! If I had to do it all over again, I would have NOT bought my HPI Baja and bought something 4WD instead. The Baja is nice on the beach with paddle tires or some grass, but on hard packed dirt, its not as fun to bash with.

And I just realized the price of this thing after it was mentioned in a few posts. That is an excellent deal for 1 grand, but I think the 23cc may be underwhelming a bit in a much heavier 4WD. I know my HPI Baja SS with a 26cc engine is not terrible, but not super fast either. Now I'm really tempted to get this beast. Just wish I didn't dump so much money in to my HPI.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
The Baja is nice on the beach with paddle tires or some grass, but on hard packed dirt, its not as fun to bash with.

I know my HPI Baja SS with a 26cc engine is not terrible, but not super fast either. Now I'm really tempted to get this beast. Just wish I didn't dump so much money in to my HPI.
Sounds like you could use some Hostile MX tires and a tuned pipe. It will change your world on your buggy.

The DBXL is going to be a hit. $999 price tag on something that is set up pretty decent out of the box is a stellar price point and HZ is doing it right. Using standard sized engines that are available along with wheels/tires that are commonly used make this a home run. Nay-sayers gonna nay-say but this will be a successful car.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalry101 View Post
Why in the world does it "bug you" that this is 4WD and RTR?
same reason the axial exo terra bugs me. they are built to be scale and replicate a full size vehicle. the full size vehicle is rear wheel drive. is for, the RC should be rear wheel drive.
for some reason that really bugs the hell out of me.
plus (shy of monster trucks) i just don't like the way 4wd handles. iv driven to many 4wd vehicles over the years that felt like i was trying to drift a train.

the fact that it's RTR doesn't bug me. it's the fact that it's RTR only that bugs me.
you have no idea how infuriating that is to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalry101 View Post
There is already a 2WD kit buggy on the market. There has been for over 5 years. Why would Losi come out with a competitor for that? There isn't a popular 4WD buggy out there right now (in the US at least), so it makes more sense to bring out something different than the established Baja line.
why make a competitor? same reason they make the 22/22t/22sct/22-4, 8ight/8ight t, and all the mini and micro stuff.
i think "why not make a competitor?" is a better question. take an established class and dominate it. be #1. step foot on an equal playing field and prove that you're better. own those bragging rights. put your company name on top of that podium with a trophy girl on each arm.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:58 PM
Got Baja?

Quote:
same reason the axial exo terra bugs me. they are built to be scale and replicate a full size vehicle. the full size vehicle is rear wheel drive. is for, the RC should be rear wheel drive.
for some reason that really bugs the hell out of me.
plus (shy of monster trucks) i just don't like the way 4wd handles. iv driven to many 4wd vehicles over the years that felt like i was trying to drift a train.
The Exo and this are both easy to make 2WD if you prefer. Either pull the center diff and epoxy it or buy a spool for it. Some people do that to make it full-time 4WD, but you could do that and pull the front shafts. Obviously it's not a perfect solution, but it is an option.

Quote:
why make a competitor? same reason they make the 22/22t/22sct/22-4, 8ight/8ight t, and all the mini and micro stuff.
i think "why not make a competitor?" is a better question. take an established class and dominate it. be #1. step foot on an equal playing field and prove that you're better. own those bragging rights. put your company name on top of that podium with a trophy girl on each arm.
I understand it is possible to compete with something, but why do that when you could come out with something different than anything else? Why compete with another platform for sales when you can create your own category? I'd bet there are a lot more people that will be interested in this because of the price and the 4WD than there would be if it was a competitor for the Baja in the 2WD market. Another 2WD option would be cool, but the 1/5 market isn't as big as the 1/10, so if there are only going to be 10 options or so, I'd rather see them all a bit different rather than 3 companies making competing 2WD buggies.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:46 AM

Personally I love it!
It will most diffinitely be in my aresnal come Spring.
Gotta save for it.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:57 AM
Certifiable RC Addict

4wd was a requirement I wanted in a 1/5 vehicle when I got my first ever with the MCD. loved its dual servo and 4wd setup, but it was not fun to work on so I sold it.

Got another vehicle more along the lines of what fits what I was looking for, but will definitely give this a consideration.

One thing of interest as discussed on another forum is this: (I didn't not find this photo)

It has been stated there that this vehicle showed up at a trade show around 2012 under the Himoto Banner. If this is correct, I would be curious as to what price Himoto was planning on going with since it seemed the vehicle was to be offered originally (or was at least shown) with a tuned pipe.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:47 PM

if it is the same buggy, that's kind of scary. cause doesn't himoto make cheap crap? so horizon may have just bought a cheap Chinese POS and branded it a losi?
god i hope that's wrong and this is in fact an actual losi in house design and build.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:39 PM

Definitely a Re-BRAND

seen a few pics on Rc King back then..I think..
Old 11-24-2013, 06:07 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

Can't comment on if Himoto makes cheap crap, never owned one or even seen one around here.

Based on what I am seeing on there site it appears they are offering vehicles that appear to be former Redcat Models, namely the TT buggy. Talking to people on the Redcat Forum I am not sure if its the updated V3 versus the V2 which from those in the know (and one of the guys owns a 5ive-T in addition to his other vehicles) it had a lot of issues that were fixed by the v3 release, part of why for my second 1/5 I gave an updated Rampage MT a try and am liking it so far.

But, if I had known this was on the way for the price under the losi banner, it would have caused me to really think about my choice more. Especially as new, largescalerc offers getting the vehicle with a different motor, without radio, etc. new.

I am hopeful that maybe Losi saw this design (assuming they got it from Himoto), worked some losi magic to get the parts up to snuff if they weren't already (its not like losi has a corner on quality here, they and other bigger names have had there own quality issues that they have had to retify), and now is offering it to the public under there banner.

And to be honest, I could care less who makes it or sells it as long as its durable and performs well for the price you pay. A companies got to start somewhere.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:28 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_School_RC_1 View Post
....But in my eyes, visually it looks like an overgrown Redcat buggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
It has been stated there that this vehicle showed up at a trade show around 2012 under the Himoto Banner. If this is correct, I would be curious as to what price Himoto was planning on going with since it seemed the vehicle was to be offered originally (or was at least shown) with a tuned pipe.
Hmm....eyes did not deceive. That it interesting indeed. Didn't look like a Losi to me from the start - the 5ive-T certainly looks like a Losi design, this didn't look anything like it. If you already had a 1/5 platform that's 4wd, why come out with a completely different chassis? Never made sense.

Nothing wrong with that per-se, if it work, who cares? Interesting platform sharing if that is the case though. Would have never put those two together.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:31 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

yeah, maybe they wanted an offering that was significantly cheaper than the 5ive-T to draw in people looking at say new HPI 5Bs?

but as I mentioned, I would be VERY curious the price himotos vehicle would have been if they released it.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:21 PM

Awesome !

When does the electric version come out !
Old 11-29-2013, 11:08 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

probably easy for companies like RC Monster to make a conversion for.