Password: Log In:

Notices

RC Car and Truck Electronics For all Electronics Radios, Servos, Batteries, Motors, Brushless Motors, Esc's, Chargers and Lighting.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 11:31 PM

LaTrax Brilliant Help needed !

I have an old LaTrax Brilliant 2 channel RC transmitter and receiver with two HI TEC servos.

I would like to know what voltage is required to run the transmitter and what voltage to run the receiver / servos.

The build date on the transmitter is 1979. Model LTX – 4? This transmitter looks bigger and heavier than what I am seeing with the LaTrax cars currently listed on ebay.
The transmitter case is about 5.5“ x 5.5” and is metal. Has on/off switch, steering wheel and charge meter ? on front, and other controls on the side. Receiver mod. BRC-231R. HiTec HS 402 servos. I do have pictures but don’t know how to post. Believe these are from a RC car and would like to see if I can get them working so I can build a small RC boat.
The units had some cobbled together home made battery packs and actually worked when I got them years ago. Have since lost track of the batteries and I am dead in the water!
Hope someone can tell me the power requirements .

Thanks for any help you can give.

excello
Sponsored Links

Old 02-07-2013, 08:31 AM

Latrax was founded by Jim Jenkins in 1977. The first R/C toy was the Alpha, followed by the Lancia Stratos, Mustang Cobra, 77 Camaro, and the 1979 Firebird. On the Hobby side, the first Latrax Hobby R/C was the Corvette, followed by the 1979 Firebird, Porsche 917, and the Hustler Buggy. I believe that there was a Latrax Cigarette Racing Boats, one that was a toy model and a second one as a Hobby model. As far as I know, those where the only Latrax models available, along with the parts accessories.

What makes this story so ironic was the fact that Mr. Jenkins sold Latrax to Brinkmann in 1980. And a few years later, around 1982, Brinkmann closed down the company because it was not part of their core operations.

With that said, Mr. Jenkins went on to co-found Traxxas in 1986, which was about 9 years after he establish Latrax. Today, his son, Mike Jenkins is sole owner of Traxxas, a company that was built on top of the Latrax brand.

It would be great if someone would write a bio on the origins of Latrax and the people behind it and how it led to the creation of Traxxas.

it takes a sub C pack..thats 6 nicad-1.2V batteries in series.. I do think the servo works on 5.2Volts.. back in the 80's the zener diode did the job..as for remote AA's in that baby..

I do beleave the FCC outlawed those remotes back in the late 80's..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ltx...jpg (136.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 02-07-2013, 09:22 PM

Thanks "tntpoof" !

That FUTABA radio shown in your picture is almost a dead ringer for mine, which is labelled Latrax Brilliant . Is that your car and radio? They look to be in superb condition.

Sounds like a 7.2 volt nicad pack from my radio shack 4wd Ford should work to run the receiver and servos. Can I hook 7.2 volts up direct to the receiver , or does it need to be reduced to 5.2 volts first ?

another question - how many AA cells ( or, how much voltage ) reqd in the radio transmitter ?
The AA battery holder that was in the transmitter is totally missing and i just cant remember how many cells it held.

Sorry for all the extra questions . Just trying to avoid electrical damage !

Thanks !

excello
Old 02-08-2013, 12:44 AM

the nicad 6 cell battery needs to be conected to the cars Power wires should run off switch to battery .. should b a blk and red..

as for your remote I'm unclear on how many AA's are required .. try doing a goole search for a OLD tamiya forum.. those Vintage guys will know..

no not my ride just a copied pic from a google search i did to try and get u on same page as me.. Best of luck..

also try ..rcdocuments..u can find info there just have to look.. I would even try asking the Guy that owns traxxas now a hid dad made that car u own..

Have Fun I always do..
Old 06-02-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntpoof View Post
the nicad 6 cell battery needs to be conected to the cars Power wires should run off switch to battery .. should b a blk and red..

as for your remote I'm unclear on how many AA's are required .. try doing a goole search for a OLD tamiya forum.. those Vintage guys will know..

no not my ride just a copied pic from a google search i did to try and get u on same page as me.. Best of luck..

also try ..rcdocuments..u can find info there just have to look.. I would even try asking the Guy that owns traxxas now a hid dad made that car u own..

Have Fun I always do..
Latrax made some of the coolest R/C around. But did you know that they also created the LaTrax Truck? Here it is: