Password: Log In:
Radio Control Zone » RC Car Action: Forums » General Vehicle Forums » General RC Discussion » What to look for when buying a used rc car

Notices

General RC Discussion RC discussion that does not fit in another category

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 04:00 PM

What to look for when buying a used rc car

I am new to the sport. I am not sure if I want to spend $1000 dollars to buy a brushless e revo 1/10th for my first car with a charger and 2 lipo batteries. I did find a used e revo with 2 lipos and a charger for them. what would a good used price be? And what should I look for. I don't want a conversion to brushless. I just want to make sure I like the sport before I spend all kinds of money in it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2012, 01:10 AM

When it comes to batteries, especially lipo's, getting them second hand is always iffy as you dont know how they where handled and maintained. They could be a year old and no good. In your case, plan on buying just the rig and remote and maybe the charger used. If you feel good about it, then get a few used batteries, atleast to give you an idea of the truck and how it works. Either they will work or they wont last very long, so plan On picking up new ones.

For the truck, I usually look at a couple of areas. 1 is operation of all controls, servo's, linkages, esc and motor, etc. Make sure you have full range and control. That will tell you if anything is out of wack, maybe due to previous wrecks, etc. Also check for any water damage in non waterproof controls/servo's.
second, check a arms and suspension carefully for damage and abuse. See how shocks rebound and if control arms and shock towers have any cheesey fixes such as super glue, bent axis pins or broken knuckles.
Third, road test it. See how it handles and if it runs streight. Listen for any drive train noises that dont sound right (Whining, beat up gears, or motor abnormalities). All these clues give you an idea on if you will be spending any more money at the hobby shop right after your purchase.

I can be rather nit pickish about these types of things, so other oppinions may vary, but you get the idea. Of course ebay is a different story, but you can still find great deals on a regular basis.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:09 AM

thank you for the information. I am not sure if i would buy from ebay because i couldn't see it.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Certifiable RC Addict

A used car is usually driven hard and neglected. You run the risk that the motor has heat damage, the bearings are shot, things like that. Its not a deal breaker, but by the time you spend the cash to get the truck back in shape, you're close to buying new.

Batteries are rarely worth buying used, especially when you can get new lipos for so cheap these days.

10th scale revo is a great truck, very servicable. On those look for play in the suspension, the truck has a ton of bearings, so roll it around, does it sound smooth? Are the pushrods bent? Do the diffs turn smooth, is there resistance to the diffs?

The MMM is a pretty stout setup, but see if the guy was running 6s or 4s.

Look at the wheel alignment, if they're nice and straight it implys the guy took care of the truck. If the camber and toe is off, it implys he just bashes and puts the truck on the shelf.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Certifiable RC Addict

Great info, i have nothing to add, except to the OP:

"I just want to make sure I like the sport before I spend all kinds of money in it."

E revo is kinda starting at the top pricewise. There are plenty of lower cost, single battery set-up trucks out there that don't cost as much cash to get started. If you're set on an E-revo, by all means buy one. Not tying to talk you out of it, just pointing out options.

I don't know if i would get in the hobby with a used car, could easily be a headache from the get go - i would recommend going new if possible.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:06 PM

Thank you for all the info. I am possibly looking at a new car. I understand all the headaches that come with something used. I like the look of the e revo and I was possibly going to start racing. If there is another rc that is better for racing and i want to use it in the back yard and I do race motorcross and i would use it at the track sometimes.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:20 AM

There is the rare person out there who does take care of their stuff. I say that because I am that way. I did sell some of my cars that were in top notch mechanical condition. The things to look out for are loose A-arms and worn out steering. Driveshafts are another thing to look for, how sloppy are they? Worn shock shafts are another item to look for. Take a look at what I did to have almost zero wear on these items. I enclosed the drive axles and greased them, I also put 'wipers' on my shocks, no shaft wear from grit.
This is on a RC10T2...I still have it almost vintage and in great mechanical condition...Here is a link to how to do the shock wiper. Transmission wear is another thing also to look for, I have a short video on how to extend it's life also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060080a.jpg (107.1 KB, 41 views)
Old 03-21-2012, 12:30 AM

For racing, before you buy might be a good idea to visit your local track and see what they run. It would be a bummer to buy your erevo for racing and all they run is 1/8 buggy and 1/10 SC. Just an example of course. Also visit your local hobby shop and see what parts they stock. It is nice to run local for a replacement part instead of having to order everything. You are probably pretty safe with traxxas, but there other common brands too.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:49 PM

The best advice I can give you is to buy a car with easilty availabel spares ... Tamiya is probably the best way to go ... and get a kit rather than an RTR ... that way if somthing breaks, and it will at some point, you will have some idea how to fix it. ... again, Tamiya do the best "step by step" build manuals ... perfect for beginners.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:27 AM

WEll said...RTR is a thing I would avoid also....it is best to know how to repair these things. Once you know your stuff then RTR is not a bad thing, but I still prefer to do it myself....I make things better as I build them....