Password: Log In:

Notices

Bodies, Painting & Detailing This forum is for all discussion of the world of painting and detailing your RC vehicles.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 05:11 PM

Cool rc car body spray painting, need help!

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the rc hobby, and I was going to design my own car body painting, but for the painting part, what Masking should I use, I found something called Latex-based MasterMask or should I just use the masking tape or is there something else that you would recommend~ (is there some thing like a large piece of blank masking that you can buy?)

also I was thinking use paper + masking tape on the edges, that way I can say a lot of tape
but Idk if the spray paint would go through the paper or not(normal print A4)

Also about the tools use for cutting the body(* not the edges) what would u guys recommand, cz knives would be really hard to use...

and I want to add the 'grille' to the front of the car, just to make it look better, but I really couldn't find any... so plz let me know if you know it!

Thanks to everyone
Sponsored Links

Old 01-04-2011, 09:57 PM

14 views and 0 reply come on guys plz help me
Old 01-05-2011, 12:02 AM
"THE Machine"

Hi bud sorry for the late response. I haven't been on this site in a couple of weeks and have not posted any pics recently but i am still very active in the RC community and still paint whenever i can. I would recommend the 3M masking tape that you can buy at any CVS or walgreens. I always have 2 inch, 1 inch, and 3/4 inch on my work bench. I do not use paper at all because somehow the paint always goes through. I draw my design on the outside of the body with a black sharpie. Then if the design doesn't look good i use a cotton ball and nail polish remover to erase the sharpie (only use NON acetone nailpolish remover!!!!). Your design does not need to be perfect. wash your body with warm to hot water to remove any molding compounds that may have been used. then dry and begin your taping process. I generally will just layer my tape from back to front and i do this slowly. i will over lap my tape job just a tiny bit, and then cut out my design. Always use a brand new X-acto #11 blade. when the blade becomes dull i generally just save it to help cut out the body. Remember you do not need to be perfect when cutting out your design; and although some of our designs may look perfect on both sides they are never really perfect. We just cut and pray that the design looks good when done hahah. JConcept bodies are defferent from side to side so trying to make both sides perfect is just impossible. So don't worry about being perfect and worry more on your design and color combinations. I would search through all the tons of pictures on this site and others and try to see what colors work best. i love to look at bright colors and also think about what you will be using your body on . Race track or for bashing. I personally race and thus have found that bright colors work best on the track.

Scoring: scoring is the process of taking that dull exacto knife and running it against the outside of the body and causing it to leave a mark. Then you precess on this spot (more like folding that joint), and the body will litereally pop. Then tear the pieces apart. This is the easiest way and fastest way of realeasing a body from the extra molding parts taht you do not need. Save these extra little pieces because at some point you will find that you may need a piece of lexan,. ahhahaa

grills... for grill i use a mesh. specfically the mesh from inside a bathing suit liner. I spray black first (go light), then i spray silver. What i mean by light; do not spray so much paint that it runs. you want to spray a light layer than let it dry. use a blow dryer to help with the drying process. when i first started painting i would spend upwards of 10 hrs a day painting a single body; holy smokes this took forever. now with the help of a blow dryer i only take 2hrs if that.

Hope this helps; if you have any question please ask!!!

Good luck bud!!
Also check out some of my old threads as you will see that i have done some simple tutorials about masking and painting.

;o)
RESPIRO
Old 01-05-2011, 01:31 AM

0 0

my eyes where literally like that when I saw your 5000words reply XD
Thanks very much, and you were not late, I just posted it today~

anyways, I really really appreciate your help

also I'm thinking to paint the window frams black with brush paint
(like the manual suggested -_-||)
so it won't get messed up if I use spray paint other parts after its dry?
(no crazy effects?)

oh and I was hoping that you could give a more specific code for the tape you use cz u know... they have lots different names for the 3M tape( the 2inch one plz) ...

I've seen other painters say that the 3M green tape works great idk if this is the one:
http://www.eastwood.com/3m-2-inch-23...ape-green.html

And... I'm doing the design on paper and then transfer it on computer using photoshop( print out car body, draw design on paper then take picture, then trace it with PS)
and this is how they look
( I know I'm not a very good designer, but I tried ...):
http://cid-63789e27e82920e6.photos.l.../CARS/side.JPG

http://cid-63789e27e82920e6.photos.l...x/CARS/top.JPG

and I was wondering if theres anything like a large piece sticker(not super strong type), that I can use to stick the back side of the masking tape on it, then cut out my design carefully, and just place the part of design on the body without damaging it( I know the knife cuts have very little effect, but I think if this way works then it would be much easier to do)
this idea was because I watched one of those precut masking videos, and that's how they do it, but instead of the masking tape, they have one whole piece of precut mask sticker...

plz tell me what you think

Last edited by JoshZ; 01-05-2011 at 01:41 AM. Reason: bloody pic function just won't work >: /
Old 01-05-2011, 11:42 PM

Any blue or green masking tape will work. You can get it at any hardware store or even the hardware section of your local Walmart.

BTW The design look good to me!
Old 01-05-2011, 11:44 PM

Oh and I don't know if it was mentioned above or if you already know this but you've gotta use lexan/polycarbonate specific paints because regular spray paint will chip. Your local hobby shop or any online shop will sell it in both spray can and bottle form.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:55 AM
UnbreakablePaintballCrew

also u can check out "how to paint rc bodies" on youtube
Old 01-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

There are many "painting a body A-Z" type topics on many forums (that I will not link to out of respect for this one). Just google the phrase and you should find more data.

There are entire sites devoted to nothing but RC painting.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:39 PM

This is what I have talked about previously, the Uncut paint mask:

it certainly is more expensive than the masking tape, but I'm not going to paint a lot of bodies, so would the be a good idea? cz it seems A LOT easier to me...
or is there other brands that you know make the same quality stuff but cheaper? plz and thanks :P
Old 01-06-2011, 10:30 PM

Looks like a bit of a complex design for your first body.

You could check out Bob Dively Liquid Masking Film. You paint it on the body and let it dry...repeat. You will need about 2 or 3 coats. Then you can cut your design out and paint.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Certifiable RC Addict

The best thing about liquid mask is it dries clear, so you can draw the design on the outside and cut it to the inside.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshZ View Post
This is what I have talked about previously, the Uncut paint mask:

it certainly is more expensive than the masking tape, but I'm not going to paint a lot of bodies, so would the be a good idea? cz it seems A LOT easier to me...
or is there other brands that you know make the same quality stuff but cheaper? plz and thanks :P
It will work however if you have tight curves or spots that are not real flat you will get pain bleeds. Vinyl will not lay everywhere. Bob D's is a great product.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:54 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrcracing View Post
The best thing about liquid mask is it dries clear, so you can draw the design on the outside and cut it to the inside.
wow, thanks to all you guys!
I didn't know the liquid turns out to be clear, and what u said was exactly what I was thinking XD
now the liquid mask seems to be a great idea!
but would one bottle(4FL.OZ) be enough for a 1/10 scale car body?
just wondering...
Old 01-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Certifiable RC Addict

4oz might be a little tight, better go with the 8oz bottle. You can also thin it a bit it with water if needed.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:46 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrcracing View Post
4oz might be a little tight, better go with the 8oz bottle. You can also thin it a bit it with water if needed.
oh thats what I thought too :P
thx a lot