Password: Log In:
Radio Control Zone » RC Car Action: Forums » General Vehicle Forums » General RC Discussion » Traxxas Slash vs Traxxas Slayer: Which is the better buy?

Notices

General RC Discussion RC discussion that does not fit in another category

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2008, 06:19 PM

Traxxas Slash vs Traxxas Slayer: Which is the better buy?

My heart is definitely with the Traxxas Slash (electric). The Slayer (Nitro) seems to be great, but the slayer seems to be overall a better runner. I dont own either (yet) but by this weekend I should have the Slayer for sure.

If you had to choose, which would you pefer...and why
Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

I can see this just as a nitro vs elect thread. So nitro would be my choice. Too bad they didnt add reverse to the slayer. So there you go if you really would like reverse slash is it. But then it is very slow rtr wise. This is the advantage nitro has most times in rtr stock form nito is much faster. Takes quite a bit more money to match nitro.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:33 PM

I've read that a few guys that own the Slash have ben having problems with the spur gears stripping out
Old 07-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

i beat the crap out of my slash, no problems yet
Old 07-11-2008, 11:08 PM
www.airbornfx.com

I just picked up a Slash today. I've only run 1 battery pack through it and so far I love it! It is just cool to see the plush suspension soaking up the ruts and bumps, it flies flat and straight through the air over jumps.

I put a lipo pack in it, so far it seems to be fast enough. I know I'll end up putting in my brushless setup before too long though.

I chose to get the Slash because I wanted something I can run around outside my house without driving my neigbors crazy. The Revo tends to irritate people after awhile.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:09 AM

The Slash looks great! I almost bought one just to take to work during my prep. I just want to see one with a lipo and a brushless installed. I'm a nitro guy, so I put a load of cash on a Slayer. I think like the E-revo, there will be an E-Slayer. Right now, I'm looking for a good price on a RB 523 to install in my future Slayer. I do think that there will be more Slayers being raced than Slashes.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starguard View Post
I've read that a few guys that own the Slash have ben having problems with the spur gears stripping out
lol... The truck uses the same transmission that Traxxas has used on the Stampede/Rustler/Bandit for like ... well it's been a while. I've had a Stampede forever (10+ years now) and never actually stripped a spur gear until I knew I would (too small of pinion and spur gear) but wanted to try the ratio anyway.

And yes, this is with brushless/lipo power.

Not sure why the Slash would be any different.

-Eric
Old 07-13-2008, 10:01 PM
Banned

Do you want 4wd or 2wd? IF you want 4wd, it's a Slayer or no short course truck, as noone has released a BL conversion for one, leaving you to ghetto up a revo one to work.

If 2WD, do you want nitro? If yes, grab a Slayer and yank the front driveshafts. :P

Do you already own any other hobby-grade vehicles? If yes, are they all elec/nitro or is it a mix? Obviously if you already have strictly nitro the Slayer will be easier to get going, and the mixture will make both extremely easy to get going

The Slayer looks better because of the front suspension design. The tires do not need to move backwards as well as up, so the fenders are realistically cut, the Slash has the backs of the fenders cut back a bit to clear the wheels.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I vote operator error - improperly set mesh. I've also witnessed the spur stripping after the truck was subjected to some very heavy abuse, huge jumps and brushless/LiPo power. The $3 spur was the only casualty - I'm ok with this. That said, if you intend the do backflips off 10 foot jumps, buy a Revo. The Slash is geared more towards scale racing/bashing.
As far as what truck I'd chose if I had to make the choice? Depends on many factors. If I planned to run only in my neighborhood, I'd probably stick with the Slash. Large offroad track, I'd probably go with the Slayer. Short offroad track - probably the Slash. Indoor track = Slash. If it were my first RC vehicle, I'd stick with the Slash for ease of use.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonGareth View Post
Do you want 4wd or 2wd? IF you want 4wd, it's a Slayer or no short course truck, as noone has released a BL conversion for one, leaving you to ghetto up a revo one to work.
If you wanted to go the electric and 4WD with this platform, you could slap the Slayer style tires, arms, pushrods, driveshafts, tires and body on an E-Revo.

Starguard, you'll definitely get more performance out of the Slayer, but you'll also get the headaches and costs that come with a nitro vehicle with a much higher parts count. The Slash will definitely lag behing in the speed and performance area (unless you dropped some money on brushless/lipo power and even then you still lack 4WD), but simplicity and cost certainly are a plus.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGhostMouse View Post
If you wanted to go the electric and 4WD with this platform, you could slap the Slayer style tires, arms, pushrods, driveshafts, tires and body on an E-Revo.

Starguard, you'll definitely get more performance out of the Slayer, but you'll also get the headaches and costs that come with a nitro vehicle with a much higher parts count. The Slash will definitely lag behing in the speed and performance area (unless you dropped some money on brushless/lipo power and even then you still lack 4WD), but simplicity and cost certainly are a plus.

Please also note that I posted that Revo E-conversions will probably fit the Slayer, and would be easier to do than changing the suspension on the e-revo.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonGareth View Post
Please also note that I posted that Revo E-conversions will probably fit the Slayer, and would be easier to do than changing the suspension on the e-revo.
"leaving you to ghetto up a revo one to work." You make it sound so appealing
Old 07-15-2008, 07:23 PM

I have a very funny feeling I'm gonna end up with them both. I just learned that there is only one hobby shop in the Suburbs that has only three slashes left. Everyone else have either sold out or have them on backorder. Even Tower Hobbies have run out. If this one hobby shop still has them by friday, I'll definitely have a slash for sure this weekend.

Man I am SOO Pumped right now
Old 07-15-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
My heart is definitely with the Traxxas Slash (electric). The Slayer (Nitro) seems to be great, but the slayer seems to be overall a better runner. I dont own either (yet) but by this weekend I should have the Slayer for sure.

If you had to choose, which would you pefer...and why
Correction: "but by this weekend I should have the SLASH for sure."

I dont think the Slayer has been released yet
Old 07-15-2008, 10:34 PM
Optimus Crawl

There are just too many variables to come up with a "right" pick. On one hand, I have driven a Slash, and loved the control it had as a 2wd truck. On the other, 4wd nitro is a rush.

They share a body shape, and dimensions roughly....thats about it.

2wd vs. 4wd, nitro vs. EP. Seriously hard to make a choice, so the only logical thing is to buy both!
Old 07-15-2008, 10:51 PM
www.airbornfx.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by z-man280 View Post
There are just too many variables to come up with a "right" pick. On one hand, I have driven a Slash, and loved the control it had as a 2wd truck. On the other, 4wd nitro is a rush.

They share a body shape, and dimensions roughly....thats about it.

2wd vs. 4wd, nitro vs. EP. Seriously hard to make a choice, so the only logical thing is to buy both!

Ron is right. The only similarity the 2 trucks have to one another is the body. Your question is like asking if you should buy a Monster GT or a T4. They just aren't even close to the same truck other than how they appear with the body on.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:22 AM
Certifiable RC Addict

The Slayer is a little bit of a disappointment if ya ask me. Basically, all Traxxas did is put the Slash body and rims onto a Revo chassis, and threw it onto the market. Not something I call "innovative". Meh
Old 07-16-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXWoodmanXX View Post
The Slayer is a little bit of a disappointment if ya ask me. Basically, all Traxxas did is put the Slash body and rims onto a Revo chassis, and threw it onto the market. Not something I call "innovative". Meh
It'd be awesome to see something new everyday, but with the realities that every business has to face, I think we should take what we can get. I think it's pretty neat that they managed such a different format of vehicle from an existing platform. It makes sense from Traxxas' cost point of view, hobby shops' inventory point of view, and it's just plain cool. Plus, you could easily switch between the two styles of vehicles. Really, I think it's ridiculous to expect every new vehicle to be "innovative" and reinvent the entire industry. Be happy there are more toy cars out there.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGhostMouse View Post
It'd be awesome to see something new everyday, but with the realities that every business has to face, I think we should take what we can get. I think it's pretty neat that they managed such a different format of vehicle from an existing platform. It makes sense from Traxxas' cost point of view, hobby shops' inventory point of view, and it's just plain cool. Plus, you could easily switch between the two styles of vehicles. Really, I think it's ridiculous to expect every new vehicle to be "innovative" and reinvent the entire industry. Be happy there are more toy cars out there.
Agreed
Old 07-18-2008, 09:55 PM

I'd go with the Slayer just becuase I have nitro in my veins. But instead of the Slayer I'll wait to see my other options from other companies.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:18 AM
Certifiable RC Zone Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUAKE&SHAKE View Post
I can see this just as a nitro vs elect thread. So nitro would be my choice. Too bad they didnt add reverse to the slayer. So there you go if you really would like reverse slash is it. But then it is very slow rtr wise. This is the advantage nitro has most times in rtr stock form nito is much faster. Takes quite a bit more money to match nitro.
I vote Slash. It takes a lot of parts from the existing Rustler/'pede/bandit vehicles and comes with a 272 gearbox for brushless.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:37 PM
www.airbornfx.com

That gearbox has no problem handling brushless setups either.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXWoodmanXX View Post
Um... yeah. I see you didn't spend much time checking it out. Its not just a Revo with a Slash body