Password: Log In:

Notices

RC Car and Truck Electronics For all Electronics Radios, Servos, Batteries, Motors, Brushless Motors, Esc's, Chargers and Lighting.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2007, 08:22 PM
Certifiable RC Zone Addict

Exclamation Can any esc run 550 or 600 size motors?

I'm sorry in advance if this is a stupid question.....

If an ESC says it can run 2 19T 550 motors at 14.4V, how does that equate to running 2 motors if they were 600 size like from a drill also at 14.4V?

Also, can any esc run motors bigger than what it's designed for? Like if any given esc is meant for 1 motor and it has a 13T limit in 540 size, can it run a 550 or 600 size? And if so, what could the limitations be in regards to voltage, if it's limit is normally 7 cells on a 540?

I'm contemplating resurrecting my RC boat I gave up on because it was too slow and boring. Now I may buy an EVX esc and some 600 motors for it, that should be an improvement me thinks!!!!
But maybe one 600 motor running on a normal 1 motor esc would be equally as good.
Hmmmm, please help with any advice!!!

Thanks
Sponsored Links

Old 12-02-2007, 03:33 PM

im not going to be much hepl probably but ill try...
the bigger the motor the more current draw and amps its going to have. also if you really step up to anything above 800 it increases in volts enough to be noticed. if i were you wanting to run duals i would get the novak superduty xr or some other good twin esc if you have a favorite. if you run rhis as long as you dont exceed the ampserage rating..the turn limit or voltage...youll be just fine. the biggest brushes setup i know of right ow is dual novak super suty xr and duall revolver 970 motors. these motors are like 3 time bigger that the titans..

but anyway...as long as you dont exceed the limits on any esc...you can do pretty much whaterever you want to them..and also...if you convert a single motor esc to run duals...try not to get to close to any of the limitss...might cause heat issues.

one more thing i just want to show you...if you decided to go brushless in your boat and completely max it out....and if your not tight on money...at all...lol look at this..45volt esc with a 120amp limit..hydro version also..

good luck on your projext! sorry if i wasnt any help to you.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:00 PM

Thanks for that reply maxx fast.
Somewhere I read that a motor like a 600 or 800 has less current draw. At kershawdesigns.com they have drill motors of various sizes conversion kits. I looked on ebay for other info on just the motors. According to the people selling just the motors that at max amp draw they draw about 23amps with 18 volts. Less amps for 14.4v and even less for 7.2. They say you can expect longer runtimes with 600+ motors than you would with a 540 motor.

Thanks for the other info. I want to try to do it on the cheap and I couldn't justify spending lots of $$$ on it; the boat was given to me cos they didn't want it. So I'd like to try to keep it cheap but still have a fun boat. Anybody can make anything fun by spending lots on it, the key is to do it cheap and still have that fun
Hehehe, 45 volt esc. I'd sink the boat with that many nimh batteries in it
Old 12-05-2007, 01:09 PM

Up to a certain point, the bigger motor will draw less current because the wires wrapped around the armature are actually longer. Since they're longer, they have a higher resistance and therefore will not pass as much current.
That being said, I'm not 100% sure that you'll be safe with any motor on any ESC, but the ESCs put out for the E-Maxx say do not use below 19t 550, and NO 540 motors whatsoever. This leads me to believe that my assumption above is correct.
-Eric
Old 12-22-2007, 05:33 PM

justget the evx and a team checkpoint money moter it is the best 19t i have ever driven
Old 12-23-2007, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagekid94 View Post
justget the evx and a team checkpoint money moter it is the best 19t i have ever driven
Whats that's got to do with my post? The question is basically, can any ESC run a 550 or more motor? I know most esc's will run a 19t 540 motor like that Team Checkpoint motor you are talking about.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:12 PM
I like me.

It depends on the ESC's rating for the most part. For example, the XL5 Traxxas cars have an ESC that runs a 12 turn 550 motor, but the ESC can't take a 12 turn 540 motor, I think it's rated at 15 turns for 540 motors.

Does that help any? Most no turn limit ESCs can handle a 550 motor (that goes for one of them, two will be dependent on if you wire them both in series or parallel).
Old 12-25-2007, 06:49 AM

I'm wondering...If you want your boat to be faster...why go to the larger motor? Typically because those are built for specific things like drills they are lower in RPM then what you can get in a modified 540. So you'd be faster sticking with 540 motors.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:05 PM
I like me.

More torque to turn a larger prop versus higher RPM spinning a smaller prop? I dunno, there's more than one way to skin a cat so to speak.

Same concept as why Traxxas maybe went with a 3500 kv brushless motor instead of a 10000kv brushless motor. You can run more voltage to get a more efficient system overall (depending on gearing) compared to running a higher Kv motor on lower voltage.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
I'm wondering...If you want your boat to be faster...why go to the larger motor? Typically because those are built for specific things like drills they are lower in RPM then what you can get in a modified 540. So you'd be faster sticking with 540 motors.
The bigger motors have more torque and can consequently be geared higher. Have a look at this http://kershawdesigns.com/ under products-emaxx and look at the conversions. All they have done is put in some drill motors and geared it to suit, running the same ESC and such and it's a lot quicker than the 550 that comes stock.
It's the same concept I'm thinking about with this boat of mine.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:29 PM
I like me.

By that same token, you could try out a 700 size or 900 size motor if you're handy at making a mount ya know. The Speed 700s are a common boat motor for higher cell counts (like 12 or 14).

It'd probably be pretty powerful.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:55 AM

Yeah I was thinking that. It would be great to try, but I want to keep it relatively cheap and to get an ESC that can handle 12 or 14 cells isn't cheap. Any esc I have (apart from the mamba) can handle (on paper at least) max of 7 cells. Perhaps my old tamiya teu101 may handle more. On another forum someone hooked up 11 or 12 cells up to a 540 silver can and it handled it fine. Hmmmmm. I wonder how that many cells on a 700 or 900 motor would go with that ESC?
Old 12-28-2007, 01:35 AM
I like me.

Probably not well. Larger motors have the potential to pull big current. Doesn't mean they always will depending on the situation though. If you can hunt down an old Duratrax Streak, that'll work with 12 cells fine (I ran mine on 12 cells with a 17 turn 540 motor in a direct drive Street Sport overgeared; ESC was fine). They don't make those little buggers anymore though (When I bought it brand new, it was 45 bucks I think).

I think I still have that ESC though. Hmmm...ideas...
Old 12-28-2007, 02:06 PM

All Else being EQUAL (and it NEVER is) a longer can motor (brushed or brushless) will turn a lower rpm and pull a little less current due to the longer wire per turn. Now using a fatter wire gauge will increase torque and current draw, but not rpm. Timing will also alter current/rpm. From my past experience, whatever an ESC is rated for on min turns, stay a turn or two higher. Most ESC ratings seem a bit optimistic. You need to double check any setup with the ESC and motor temps. In a boat, you may need to go to a lighter pitch prop. That is the same as going to a smaller pinion gear.

For a given wind and wire size, the longer motor will turn lower revs and pull less current, but they also run cooler due to the larger surface area to get rid fo the heat, so you can run a taller gear, or in this case a higher pitch/diameter prop. That will result in higher current. Again, watch the temps. If you gear it right, an ESC could run a lower turn motor than rated as long as the temps are okay. In a car this is tough due to the load of starting from a stop, but in a boat, you can get away with more due to the near no load start of a prop in water. Brush motors pull max current when stalled, and that really does not happen in a boat or a plane.