Password: Log In:

Notices

Electric Vehicles Discussion related to Electric On-Road and Off-Road Vehicles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2000, 11:34 PM
SRBaja

Newbie here-What does ESC do ?

No clue about RC so some dumb questions from me will be fortcoming. First off, what does ESC do and how does it affect the motor ?
Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2000, 11:58 PM
XXXER

Firstly, WELCOME TO THE RCCA BB, anyways, what the ESC does is it, in a nut shell, sends power to the motor, and tells how much power to give it, in relation to trigger moevement on the remote, I saw that you are gettin the Rustler on the other thread, they are great for begginers, you are getting the Pro Trax aslo i assume, and they are even better for new guys, the ESC also makes the battery last longer, because of lower resistance. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR CAR!!
Old 11-30-2000, 05:04 AM
SRBaja

Thanks for the reply, anyway the rustler I ordered has ESC, now if I had not ordered it with ESC it would have had what ? Mechanical control ? what is that , and how does it send current to the motor as opposed to Esc. Thanks- This RC stuff looks like it can get complicated.
Old 11-30-2000, 10:56 AM
ZenLosi

Hey there SRBaja. Mechanical and Electronic speed controls serve the same function, controlling voltage output to the motor. The difference is, the mechanical controller is controlled by an additional servo and usually has three speeds forward and one reverse. As the mechanical wiper arm get's pulled over different areas of the contact patch, it speeds up or slows it down. The electronic speed control does not require an additional servo and I believe they're all proportional now. This means wherever you have the throttle on the controller is directly proportional to the output of the ESC. The electronic speed control is definately the better option, but you need to be aware of the limitations of your particular model. Make sure you don't somehow reverse polarity with the battery, find out what the lowest winding motor it can handle (the lower the winding, the faster the motor) most can handle 17 turns or higher, and of course, keep the ESC dry. A maintained ESC will last much longer than a mechanical speed controller as well.

-Zen
Old 11-30-2000, 09:28 PM
R_C_MAN

To leave off where Zenlosi stopped about the motors- well "turns" refer to how many times wires is wrapped around the armature in the motor. The armature is basically the part in side the motor that spins around. "Winds" refers to how many wires are wrapped around the armature. SO if someone said that a motor is a 13 turn triple, that means 3 wires are wrapped around the armature 13 times. The rule of thumb is the lower the turns the faster. That is just the rule of thumb that is generally true but also varies and depends on the motor and manufacturer. The rule of thumb about winds is the higher the wind the more top end and RPM. The lower the wind gives more low end and torque. Winds usually ramge from single to quint. Turns usually range from 6 to 27.
This may all seem confusing at first but you will eventually know all this stuff. It isn't as hard as it seems. Hope you have fun with your Rustler. It is a good truck. I have one myself.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:37 PM

Talking esc

hey i know you are talking about cars, but i have a question about esc been a nitro and gas nut for a few years ( boats ) wanting to convert to elec, fiance bought me a exceed 650 shark ep has a 75 amp esc calling for a 11.1v battery local hobbie stores tell me a 14.8v battery will work had it out for apprx 5 min lost a lot of power and now does not want to operate at full throttle or barley.what am i doing wrong also lots of heat on motor and esc both of which are water cooled
Old 03-22-2013, 01:48 PM

heybro.. that boat calls for a 7.4v lipo thats a 2 cell not a 4 cell..take it back to store tell them they cooked ur boat electronics.. NOW REPLACE..
em # 10021

Length: 600mm (23.62 inches)
Beam: 165mm (6.49 inches)
Height: 80mm (3.14 inches)
Weight: 1150g (40.56 oz)
Hull Type: Fiberglass Mono 1 Step Bottom
Propeller: Carbon-reinforced plastic D36*P1.4 3-blade
Driveline: Solid with Flexible Joint Drive
Hardware: CNC Aluminum Strut and Rudders
ESC: 70A
Radio (Required) 2 channel, 1 servo
Motor 2858-4122KV water-cooled brushless