Password: Log In:

Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2007, 06:47 PM

Starter Airplane for 8 year old

Hi,

I just found and signed up on this site today. I have an 8 year old son and have had a hard time finding a decent quality model airplane to teach him how to fly. These Air Hog things are junk despite what they say in their commercials. Does anybody out there have any advise on a good quality, easy to fly model/RC airplane that will last?

Please also forward your reply to my website cgpilot@(nospam)yahoo.com

Thanks,

Eric

Please visit my website at www.modelairplanes4u.com

Last edited by cgpilot; 01-18-2007 at 06:52 PM. Reason: added home email
Sponsored Links

Old 01-18-2007, 09:32 PM
Certifiable RC Zone Addict

Hello Eric,
I have a neighbor who has been well satisfied with a Graupner Terry. These are available from www.hobby-lobby.com definitely not junk, and well suited for a younger pilot.
Regards, Dave
Old 01-19-2007, 07:30 AM

The Air Hogs aero ace's are far from junk, they are an incredible value for $30 especially when you consider the price of some of the so called starter planes some hobby companies have tried to push as beginner aircraft. Maybe you got a lemon or are trying to fly in too much wind for the tiny planes. I am not bashing in any way. The GWS cub is a small plane that flies incredibly slow but you must provide your own radio system, it also flies very well I might add. I have an 8 yr old step son I am going to teach to fly this year, perhaps we can share info on what works and what doesnt. I am considering using the trainer cord method for him but I havent decided yet. Good luck with your son's flying. If you care to share info on teachings you can add my yahoo if you like. Heatracer242007@yahoo.com
Old 01-19-2007, 09:36 AM

I gather from your website that you are an experienced flyer. You need to decide whether you will be teaching your son to fly via buddybox, or on his own. With the buddybox, you are virtually unlimited as far as your choices, recognizing that the more complex the plane, the less flying time your son will experience and the more input that you will be required to provide. Generally, you should get a foam high wing trainer.

If you will be letting your son fly on his own, with you providing guidance and support, I would suggest that you get either the Multiplex EasyStar or the HobbyZone SuperCub. These are, without doubt, the two best beginner planes currently being sold. Each has its pluses and minuses. The EasyStar can be purchased as either RTF or ARF, allowing you to select your own radio gear. The SuperCub comes only RTF and is on 27mhz. However, the EasyStar has no landing gear, requiring hand launches and belly landings. The SuperCub has good landing gear to allow ground take-offs, touch-and-gos and landings; and it looks like a real plane. Backyard Flyer magazine called it "The Perfect Beginner Plane".

You need to be careful with AirHogs. Most of their planes are junk, but the AeroAce (both bi-plane and jet) and the Storm Launcher are real jems. Naturally, with mass production, some lemons get through, but for the most part, these planes are an incredible value as Speedracer said.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:29 AM

Easy Star would be my first recommendation.

Hobby zone Supe Cub

T-Hawk

Even the Easy Glider Electric, flying on 8 cells would be a good trainer.