Password: Log In:

Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2004, 01:36 PM

Traxxas Villain EX Mods Props etc.

Hi gang I just got the latest traxxas electric the villain ex its pretty slick. I was wondering if anyone new the limits of the new speed control it comes with, how many turn motor can it handle and how many volts/batteries? Also are there any good hop ups for this, i've been reading to replace my props but is that the only thing, anyone have a linkie to good props for this boat?

Cheers!
Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2004, 10:48 PM

Run it on 2 batt packs in series, 14.4 volts,,, props package at www.offshoreelectrics.com
Old 06-15-2004, 10:45 AM

Mikdee thanks, you ever have any problems with water in the hull? I put mine in the water for the first time and it took in some water in just a few minutes, is this normal? I am on the fence weather to send it traxxas or try and reseal it myself. I believe it is where the two parts of the boat meet (not the lid) and in the very rear it doesnt seem to be sealed properly...
Old 06-22-2004, 10:50 PM
Certifiable RC Zone Addict

Try installing an autobailer. I put one in my boat, and now it runs dry as a bone (on the inside, at least) They can also be found at www.offshoreelectrics.com for about 5 bucks.
Good luck with your Villain. Also, if you can, get the water cooling kit for the motors. It really reduces their temperature, and you can run it for longer with less cooldown.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris LaPanse
Try installing an autobailer. I put one in my boat, and now it runs dry as a bone (on the inside, at least) They can also be found at www.offshoreelectrics.com for about 5 bucks.
Good luck with your Villain. Also, if you can, get the water cooling kit for the motors. It really reduces their temperature, and you can run it for longer with less cooldown.
The Villain EX water intake for the cooler is just below the lowest point in the hull. Can you install the autobailer by moving the intake aside temporarily and then drilling the hole and inserting the autobailer? After you put the water intake back in place, will it interfere with the autobailer? Or is this the proper procedure?
Old 07-11-2004, 11:35 PM

the evx marine will handle two 7 cell packs of any mah you want, and up to twin 17 turn 550 motors. but none of that is required to go fast enough for the boat to develope some handleing issues. all you need is two 3300mah 6 cell stick packs, the stock titan motors, and the octura prop conversion available through www.offshoreelectrics.com or www.funrcboats.com you can also reverse the rotation of the motors and props so that the props spin towards each other looking at the transom the top of the props will come together. the boat will run so hairy that its on the verge of flipping over the whole time its at top speed. its really fun to drive and practice driving out of hazardous situations. chine walking, roll overs, spin outs, flips, kartwheels all the good stuff that boats do when there pushed to the limits.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:39 PM

something to think about when using an auto bailer. when the boat is sitting still the ball valve closes to stop water from coming in the hull and when you take off it opens to let the water out. now if there is a piece of trash in the hull under the radio box or something and it goes through the auto bailer it could stop the ball valve from closing when the boat is sitting still which will allow water to enter the hull and will cause the boat to ride really low in the water like on the bottom of the pond.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:15 PM

As long as you don't hae anything directly blocking the autobailer, it will work fine. As far as the piece of trash bit, I use 2 solutions.

1: Foam floatation

2: Why the heck is there trash in your boat in the first place?
Old 07-14-2004, 09:25 PM

this is a traxxas boat we are talking about, maybe something broke and you didnt get all the peices of it, or maybe the trash came in through the same hole that the water is getting into the boat through. maybe you picked it up when you put your battery in there, i know lots of people that set there charged packs in the grass before they run them its easy to pick up a battery and get a few peices of grass or leaves with them. also ponds have weeds and grass floating in them that get stuck on props and could make there way into the boat when cleaning the props with the hatch off. should i keep going or do you need more.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:29 PM

I do all those things, however, I have never had that problem. First, you brush off the packs when you put them in the boat. Second, I always look over the boat right before I run it (after doing any cleaning, etc). Finally, water can go through much smaller holes then trash can, ad it is likely it is going through a small enough hole thatthe trash couldn't get through. Or do you think someone would run a boat with an obvious hole below/right above the waterline?

PS: you still didn't address the isue of the FOAM FLOTATION. Also, are you implying that all traxxas boats are junk?
Old 07-15-2004, 03:08 PM

Where is the best place to put the auto-bailer? Will i have to remove the water intake and place it somewhere else?
Old 07-15-2004, 06:29 PM

the lowest place in the boat is always the best place for the autobailer. As for the water pick up, you could move it, or you could probably put the autobailer right next to it and it would work fine.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:52 PM

nah not all of them are junk, just most of them. i think the traxxas villain ex has floatation preinstalled.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:00 PM

I actually think their electric boats are pretty good. Now, the Nitro Vee is a POS, but this is an electric forum,