Password: Log In:

Notices

Indoor RC Microflight Moderated by NIRAC

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2004, 04:13 PM

CO2 powered planes - Gasparin

Hello All,

After viewing the lovely Nieuport 11 aircraft on Mr. Stefan Gasparin's website I also became enamored with the beautiful CO2 powered "peanut" planes. My question is does anyone have any experience with these? I would like to obtain one of Mr. Gasparin's Micro Motors as well as some plans or a kit of a peanut.

Also, I get the impression that most of the earlier CO2 powered planes are "free-flight" models but that with the advent of micro controls, some can now be radio controlled - is this correct?

Also, what are some of the run times of these little beauties?

If anyone has familiarity with this I would like to know what it is - again, this is new to me but I find the look and craftsmanship of these CO2 powered beauties to be very intriguing. One only need to go to Gasparin's web site to view all the very detailed "peanut" planes.

I look forward to any insight that can be provided.

Best Regards,

Tony
Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2004, 08:20 PM
Certifiable RC Zone Addict

Hi Tony,
I have had some experience with CO2 powered models in the past. The various sizes of free flight models is where they are best suited. I quite agree, the models on Stefan's page are enough to drool over.
Some of the considerations regarding the CO2 power are relatively short run time( The controls on the motor allow the operator to trade power for duration) When the motor is adjusted for longer runs, the power is well down. This is characteristic of all CO2 motors, not just Stefan's. Along with this, a CO2 motor is very temperature sensitive. When the air temperature drops, the power and duration drop, since the motor is basically a gas expansion device.
Mounted in a light free flight model where relatively short runs are fine, the CO2 motor can be reasonably useful. Very few individuals have been satisfied with the performance when flying an R/C model.
Regards, Dave
Old 05-05-2004, 10:37 PM

CO2 Models

Hi Dave - thank you for this information it is very helpful. I understand now that the CO2 models are best for free flight. In a typical "peanut" style plane do these tend to run for just a few seconds on one charged/full tank? What is average run time - rough and tough.

Even though CO2 micro models would seem to have their limitations, there seems to be a vintage, craftsman style about them that I find quite appealing. I don't mind the limitations as long as they fly for short bursts.

Dave what's your opinion on free-flight CO2 peanuts? I really like what you have to say on items like these. Unless something is really negative about them, I think I will go for one.

Best Regards,

Tony
Old 05-06-2004, 07:29 AM

Hi Tony,
It is quite possible to get runs of a half minute or more with enough power to pull a light peanut scale model. The run time will be longer in warm weather,and shorter when it is cold. I agree, they are really appealing for the reasons you mentioned. Be careful to keep that jewel away from trees and strong thermals)-:
Regards, Dave
Old 05-07-2004, 01:58 PM

Hello C02 Micro Modelers.

Dave (or anyone else that can help here)

I have contacted Stefan directly about his C02 model planes in his gallery and seems that most of these are built by Czech or European gentlemen. Unfortunately my Czech vocabulary is not real good :-(

So might you or anyone else know of some C02 micro modelling masters that I can get in contact with?

Stefan mentioned Joseph Malinchak - is he here in the states - might you have his contact information.

I thought Stefan mentioned Matt Keenon too - would you know if he builds these?

I am looking to communicate with someone that can help me with this.

Thank you Dave or anyone else that can assist.

Best Regards,

Tony
Old 05-07-2004, 03:10 PM

Hi Tony,
Matt Keenon has published several review articles in RC Microflight. His address would be in there. I have info on Joe Malinchak, I will message him your e-mail and let him know what your interest in. Joe is a neat guy with a good touch at light building.
Regards, Dave
Old 05-07-2004, 08:37 PM

Hi Tony,
I need your e-mail address to send to Joe Malinchak. You can reach me at aplusfarm@hovac.com
Regards, Dave
Old 05-08-2004, 12:04 PM

Matt has worked with Gasparins. I know he made an actuator-activated throttle for one. I believe that it was published in RCMF. I will point him to this thread.
Old 05-08-2004, 02:03 PM

ToeKnee,

I just got this reply from Matt: 'I can't give advice on CO2, my tests were dismal failures, not only am I not an expert, but I think I must have some serious misconceptions about them, because I seem to do everything backwards with them. Not sure who to recommend.'

The Sam's (http://www.samsmodels.demon.co.uk/) Catalog has pictures and specs on most of the Gasparins, some advice on their handling, care, size guidelines and use. For U.S. modelers, it offers a wide selection of kits not usuaslly seen over here. Other forums may have more CO2 experts. SmallFlyingArts, some of the indoor specific sites, etc. come to mind. A lot of CO2 seems to be outside the US so check the English websites like Aeronutz.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:43 PM

Hi,
I recently remembered seeing Joe Malinchak at a flying session at the National Building Museum in DC flying a CO2 powered biplane with single channel control. The model had a wingspan of about 12", the wings appeared to be sliced from blue foam, the fuselage was a profile, and the whole thing was cute and neat. This one made repeated long flights with the small CO2 motor and what appeared to be a standard size tank, so at least one fellow has this thing figured out for indoor flying. I also got the impression that the equipment had to be very light, less than an RFFS-100 system for example.
Regards, Dave
Old 09-29-2005, 09:02 PM

Lightbulb "Peanut Free-Flyers"

I had purchased a Guillows "Peanut" model at my local hobby shop. They have some older models, and a nice selection of older stick and tissue ones. I have the Javelin. It's not very complex, but flies well, and is relatively easy to build. The part that I was Impressed the most with was the plans. They were the clearest, easiest to follow I have ever seen. Along with directions, there is a full size drawing, which you build the model on top of. It came out great. It is rubber powered, but I would love to put a CO2 engine in it. Those look really appealing for these small models.

If anyone has information on how to convert the Guillows Javalin from rubber powered to CO2 powered, I would appreciate it if you could clue me in . Thanks

Also, if anyone is interested in the plans of this model, I will try to scan it and post or e-mail it to you. Just ask. The kit came with partially cut sheets of wooden parts, but you could create them yourself with a little work. I'm interested in all things about stick and tissue models, as well as CO2 engines. Posts on these topics would be appreciated. Thanks again!