Password: Log In:
Radio Control Zone » RC Car Action: Forums » General Vehicle Forums » Electric Vehicles » Best offroad class for novice drivers?

Notices

Electric Vehicles Discussion related to Electric On-Road and Off-Road Vehicles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2003, 09:22 AM

Best offroad class for novice drivers?

I'm looking into racing offroad at my local track(s) but I'm not really sure which class I should be looking at. It will definitely be a stock motor class, but I don't know whether to go with a buggy or a truck.

XXX-4 seems like a cool car but 4WD doesn't seem to be that popular, and I've only seen Mod 4WD classes - never stock.

So what's easier to drive, a truck or a buggy?

Here's where I'm at, skill-wise: I've been racing touring cars for about 8 months in the "sportsman stock" class. I've won the A-main once, and finished 2nd or 3rd a couple times, but I'm not as consistent as I'd like to be with my driving or setups.
Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2003, 09:40 AM

novice class...

electric stadium trucks is alot easier then buggy.

they are just more forgiving with the wider stance and longer wheelbase.
Old 05-10-2003, 09:56 AM
Certifiable RC Zone Addict

Yes, trucks are easier. The tires on trucks will also help soften the ride.

Although, my new B4 is so easy to drive!!
Old 05-10-2003, 10:46 AM

That's cool, I'll start looking at trucks then. Thanks!
Old 05-10-2003, 06:48 PM

The xxx-t MFE and T3 FT are the best racing trucks. For bashing I would suggest the XXX-t sport and the T3 RTR.
Old 05-10-2003, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lapster
The xxx-t MFE and T3 FT are the best racing trucks. For bashing I would suggest the XXX-t sport and the T3 RTR.
I think the T3 RTR is one of the best deals out there right now. For $200 you get a T3 with a Jaguar radio & receiver, LRP Pro Digital ESC, and a 20 turn motor. Plus it comes with pro-line tires & wheels.

Very good, and easily upgradeable. When I started back into RC about 2 months ago, I bought the T3 RTR, then after a week of bashing and getting bored, I upgraded it to a LRP F1 Pro Reverse ESC and a 12t Double Reedy KR motor, and got a new Futaba 75mhz FM radio. It's TONS of fun now, and other than chewing through tires, I have no complaints.

(*it chews through my off-road tires because I only have streets to race it on around here, so I started buying road tires)

If you're going to race eventually though, there's no reason not to buy the FT T3 or the Matt Francis Edition XXX-T and build them up to what you want. Lots of adjustable parts, but also some crap you probably don't need (shiny blue aluminum crap comes to mind, AE)
Old 05-10-2003, 08:47 PM

Buy a stadium truck. For the money, a XXXT RTR is the best deal going. If your loaded go with a XXXT MFE or wait for the T4. Just remember...SLOW IS FAST! Good luck.

BTW, I race a XXXT MFE and a XXX KE buggy. Associated buggies and trucks are good as well. Its all about preference!
Old 05-10-2003, 11:45 PM

yeah i started with a t3 rtr... that was when i got big into off road.... its a great car i have put so much stuff into it its crazy... but i got into on road so off road aint my bag no more but dont get me wrong the t3 is an excellent truck for the money
Old 05-10-2003, 11:53 PM

yeah i started with a t3 rtr... that was when i got big into off road.... its a great car i have put so much stuff into it its crazy... but i got into on road so off road aint my bag no more but dont get me wrong the t3 is an excellent truck for the money
Old 05-11-2003, 03:43 AM

Depends on the type of vehicle you like best, either is very fun.
But I like buggy and 4 wd (when they were more popular). I started offroad racing with a Tamiya Hornet, that got highly modified (alum oil shocks and other items) to stay competitive with the Frogs and early RC10s.

Any vehicle is fun and driveable if you stick to the instructions (if building a kit) get help in track setups (tires, shock oil & springs) and other little items that will make driving it easier.

I've driven and owned a number of offroad cars Associated (YZ10), Losi (RPS) and the Traxxas (TC3) and a Kyoshso Optima Mid. To me the Associated cars are the easiest to setup, require less add ons and the instructions and setup suggestions generally are good starting points for any track - with tires, caster or camber changes, shock oil & springs needing a change when racing on different track surfaces.

Other items that will help in tuning: pinion gears (15-26 teeth) spurs (81-85 maybe 87 for replacing stripped one or fine tuning gear ratio), Springs and shock oil (20-35 maybe 40wt) and to change the steering agressiveness 20 & 30 front caster blocks and tires fronts (ribbed or pin/rib combo trucks, rib or wide ribbed buggy) rear (stock kit or diff mini pins) track is best place to get information on the type of tire to get along with other things like spur/pinion and what setup the guys are using, don't be afraid to ask questions.
Old 05-11-2003, 12:04 PM

Like I said, I've been racing touring cars for several months now, so I'll definitely be racing whatever offroad vehicle I get.

Right now, I'm thinking about getting the XXX-T RTR so that all I'll have to do is throw some Dean's plugs in it and I can run it. Also, I'm kinda tight on cash right now (buying a house) so I'd like to try and minimize the cost. I'd rather not have to buy another $80 receiver and $100+ ESC.

The MFE looks like a great truck, but since I've never raced offroad, all those tuning features are not going to help me. I know how it is to race and setup a complex vehicle (XRay Evo 2), so now I'd like to try something simpler, and see how that goes.

Maybe once I win the Stock A-Main a few times, I'll upgrade to the MFE
Old 05-12-2003, 12:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by highroller

I've driven and owned a number of offroad cars Associated (YZ10), Losi (RPS) and the Traxxas (TC3) and a Kyoshso Optima Mid.

i think that you ment to say that the (tc3) was made by associatednot bye traxxas

Sean

PS go with trucks there easier
Old 05-12-2003, 12:37 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by highroller I've driven and owned a number of offroad cars Associated (YZ10), Losi (RPS) and the Traxxas (TC3) and a Kyoshso Optima Mid.

i think that you ment to say that the (tc3) was made by associatednot bye traxxas

Sean

PS go with trucks there easier
Old 05-12-2003, 12:39 PM

sry bout the double posting my comp is messing up
Old 05-12-2003, 03:12 PM

In my opinion I find truck boring, comapred to buggy. Trucks just roll over everything but buggies fly over everything. My first car was a Nitro Truck but I never raced it. Then I got a XXX KE and it was easy to drive but not as easy as truck, buggies are more agile since their wheelbase is shorter and their suspension is shorter. I eventually got another truck, but they're not as much fun unless you run mod. Buggies are more of a challenge to drive, but that keeps you coming to the track, to become better at racing.

I know a lot of people at my track that started off with truck and then quit but the people who started of with buggy are still there.

In your case I would get the Losi XXX-T rtr since you don't want to buy all of the electronics.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:46 PM

when you start off with a buggy like b3 it helps you develop into a better driver. you learn to drive in extreme conditions and learn the important handling characteristic you can't learn using the newer buggies(b4, xxx) and trucks.

transition will be easier and smoother going from buggy to anything compared to going into buggies from something else.

just mho and expereince so far.
Old 05-12-2003, 05:57 PM

I think probably what I'm going to do is stop by the local track on the offroad days and see how many people are running stock buggy vs stock truck. I'll go with whichever is more popular.