Password: Log In:

Notices

General RC Discussion RC discussion that does not fit in another category

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2002, 06:51 PM

Looking for an OLD R/C truck...

May seem like a strange question, but I figured someone here might know.

Back in the early 80's, one of the first remote controlled vehicles was a red or black (depending on the frequency) Chevy Blazer. it was powered by 6-8 c-cell batteries, and had a switch on the top to go from 2WD-high to 4WD-low. It was about 6-8 inches tall, about 10 inches long, and looked just like the real truck.

For nostalgic reasons, I am looking around to see if anyone knows a) what the heck I am talking about and b) if someone has one that they would sell.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

Old 12-17-2002, 06:53 PM

I remember somewher ein my basement havng a RC car you could hit 2wd or 4wd switch and change it, But now that I think about it it was not R/C.. ;/

Jacob
Old 12-18-2002, 11:04 PM
Certifiable RC Zone Addict

Sounds like an rc made by a toy company from Japan called Shinsai(sp?)

Check ebay, theres usually some older toy rc's from the '80s up for auction.
Old 12-19-2002, 01:52 AM

Yep, found out it was the 4x4 Mountain Man from Shinsei.

Guy just sold one on eBay for $150, can you believe it?

Oh well, maybe I'll find another one sometime.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:55 PM

That is awesome!! I had two of these - well my sisteer owned the second one, but I ended up running them with my buddies mroe than she drove it

That's fantastic you found one - woud love to see one again myself. Anyway, just saw this post and figured I'd add my $.02 since it brought back good memories of early R/C.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:42 PM

Waaayy early post Takin' it old school. The older trucks certainly have some special features you don't find on today's trucks, like 2wd to 4wd shifting transmissions and realistic looks (sans the updated Tamiya 1/12 trucks). The older trucks don't have 'sophicisticated' bearings or shocks or, uh, anything like today's trucks, but they were special.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:21 AM
www.airbornfx.com

How do these old threads come back to life? This one is 6 years old!

I had a mountain man too. Cool truck.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:09 AM

I have not been able to find any pics of the truck - do you think you can post a pic of it?? I'd love to see it again!!
Old 09-17-2008, 01:33 PM

i thinks you talk about this model

i search information about this old rc, if you have

@+
Old 01-26-2009, 09:25 AM

Here mine Mountain Man by Shinsei, still runnning fine:

And at this link the red one, nice car:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_m...78341&id=15762
Old 09-22-2009, 10:28 AM

Mountain Man RC Truck..

I am looking to purchase a Remote Control Mountain Man Truck. It is from the 70's I believe. I will pay top dollar. If you have one and you are willing to sell please contact me! I am looking everywhere! My husband always wanted one as a child and never got one. Now he is not doing so well and keeps talking about it. I wanted to suprise him with it! If you are willing to sell please contact me!
Old 09-24-2009, 04:42 AM

I had a 2WD/4WD RC Audi w/ working headlights back in da day.

Speaking of 4WD does anyone remember The Animal? I had one! It had retractable claws that came out of the tires!

"These trucks were actually quite sophisticated. You see the claws themselves had three settings that could be changed by turning the hubcaps. Setting 1 was "claws in" mode which rendered The Animal identical to any other basic monster truck. No matter what it ran into, the claws would stay in. Setting 2 was by far the best setting. This was the "reactive" mode. In this mode, the claws stayed in until the truck hit an obstacle then paws were a flailin'. Setting 3 I suspect was just there because it was possible. This was the "claws out" setting. In this mode the claws were just always out, all the time. Pretty much useless since it slowed the truck down tremendously and put a huge strain on the motor.

But wait! The Animal had still more settings! The people at Galoob realised that many kids, despite purchasing a motorized toy, often attempted to treat them as though they were the non-motorized "push" variety. This often led to the damage of gears and motors. So, to facilitate this, Galoob designed The Animal with the feature of "free wheeling" mode. When The Animal was switched off (by way of a large red switch in the front) the wheels were separated from the drive train. This meant that if the Animal was off, you could push it around as easily as if it were a Tonka dump truck. Genius!

My only complaint about the toy, would be the fact that the 4 "C" sized batteries barely had enough power for such a robust creature. Generally, the batteries would die in a single play session forcing you to make use of the "free wheeling" mode.
"

Here's it's carefully staged and choreographed TV Commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W4MYJt8c4w

Last edited by Galvatron1; 09-24-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:25 PM

Wow, havent seen the Animal in a loooong time!! I used to have that. Wish I still did.

-Bob-
Old 09-25-2009, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullett1818 View Post
Wow, havent seen the Animal in a loooong time!! I used to have that. Wish I still did.
Notice how they cleverly put an old rusted monster truck shell in the river mountain the Animal steps on? ROFLOL!!

& why does that cockatoo roar like an elephant?
Old 10-11-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron1 View Post
I had a 2WD/4WD RC Audi w/ working headlights back in da day.

Speaking of 4WD does anyone remember The Animal? I had one! It had retractable claws that came out of the tires!

"These trucks were actually quite sophisticated. You see the claws themselves had three settings that could be changed by turning the hubcaps. Setting 1 was "claws in" mode which rendered The Animal identical to any other basic monster truck. No matter what it ran into, the claws would stay in. Setting 2 was by far the best setting. This was the "reactive" mode. In this mode, the claws stayed in until the truck hit an obstacle then paws were a flailin'. Setting 3 I suspect was just there because it was possible. This was the "claws out" setting. In this mode the claws were just always out, all the time. Pretty much useless since it slowed the truck down tremendously and put a huge strain on the motor.

But wait! The Animal had still more settings! The people at Galoob realised that many kids, despite purchasing a motorized toy, often attempted to treat them as though they were the non-motorized "push" variety. This often led to the damage of gears and motors. So, to facilitate this, Galoob designed The Animal with the feature of "free wheeling" mode. When The Animal was switched off (by way of a large red switch in the front) the wheels were separated from the drive train. This meant that if the Animal was off, you could push it around as easily as if it were a Tonka dump truck. Genius!

My only complaint about the toy, would be the fact that the 4 "C" sized batteries barely had enough power for such a robust creature. Generally, the batteries would die in a single play session forcing you to make use of the "free wheeling" mode.
"

Here's it's carefully staged and choreographed TV Commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W4MYJt8c4w

Thanks a lot. Now I have that stupid song in my head!!!!!!

The Animal!
The Animal!
Can anything stop The Animal?!
Old 10-11-2009, 08:12 PM
UnbreakablePaintballCrew

wow i remember that!,lol-never had 1,we were tooo poor!

put a brushless system in that and it will cut a slash in half,lol!
Old 10-11-2009, 08:17 PM
UnbreakablePaintballCrew

found 1 on ebay- the animal
http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Animal-1984-...item3ca66275f1
Old 01-31-2010, 07:29 AM

I have a Mountain Man for Sale

LOOK AT THIS! AN ORIGINAL MOUNTAIN MAN!!!!!! by SHINSEI! This is an early '80's remote control truck! I remember the commercial well! I wanted one for EVER! Anyway..when I was young, my parents had gotten me this. I've had it ALL this time...

I sometimes see forums where someone is DYING to get one of these...so I figured that maybe this should go to someone that is looking for it. A better life rather than sitting in my closet!

It is still in original box, with owners manual.It has the 2WD and 4WD selector on top. The controller is here too, which I ALSO read is hard to find. Look how clean it is! I hope that this finds a good home! It's a VERY RARE and collectible truck. Again, I was the ORIGINAL owner. This is no yard sale junk!

Old 01-31-2010, 11:41 PM
www.airbornfx.com

Holy Dead Thread Batman! 8 years old and still running strong.

Nice looking truck, I had the black one when I was a kid.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

what was the truck that had like 6-8 axels? It was a toy grade car, from my childhood so... maybe late 80's?
Old 07-11-2010, 11:52 AM

I just saw the Old faithful Mountain Man Pictures and was wondering if you still had it and if you would part with it.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:31 PM

suinsei mountain man

i have a black shinsei mountain man that ive had since 1980.i bugged and bugged my parents to buy it for me for christmas.its still in its box,complete with packing and instructions.i never used it outside.only indoors.my parents didnt want me to damage it.go figure.none the less,it spent most of its life in my closet.now i have just started a family of my own,and definitely dont have time for it.so ive posted it in the 4 sale section.i hope it will create new memories for the person who buys this rare piece of rc and childhood history.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:20 AM

I got a black one brand new around 79 or 80. It was amazing how well it got around in 4 wheel drive. After opening it up a few times I was able to put it into 2 wheel drive low range and it could turn sharper. We moved from a farm to a couldesac in the city in 81. We had a patio behind the house. In the winter I made a trail in the snow like a figure 8 over and under with a short tunnel. With fresh batteries I would set it outside for about 10-20 minutes so its body would cool down. Otherwise if I ran it as soon as I brought it out in sub 32f weather the first snow that would contact the steering would melt then freeze and the steering would freeze. I got to be rather good at operating it and found out several neighbors would watch me run it. I was able to run it into patches of sand on pavement at full speed crank the steering full left and put it in reverse to spin it 360 coming out of the sand patch going straight. I repainted it gold and black including the wheels. Deep part of wheels black and the edge of the fins were gold. I have the steering servo motor and gearbox. I think I still have the transmitter and reciever but haven't seen them in 5-10 years as I think they are in a box in my storage.
I bought a Tamiya Twin Detonator new about 4 years ago and ran it once. I don't like its mechanical speed control. I will see if I can buy a speed control for it soon and blow the dust off of it.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:35 AM

HI, Do you still have the mountain man? i had one when i was 14...am now 39 and would love to turn back the clock!

cheers
Old 11-20-2010, 10:24 PM

4X4 Turbo Blazer

can some help me on the value of 4X4 Turbo Blazer by SHINSEI