Latest from XRAY:
In the world of the small, agile, and super-fast 1/12 pancars, winners are separated from the rest of the pack sometimes by only fractions of a second. With simpler designs compared to larger touring cars, attention to detail is paramount.
The new XRAY X12 may at first glance seem like a simple and traditional design, but that’s where the similarities end. The XRAY X12 achieves a state of perfection by focusing on well thought-out refinements to create a car that is easy to drive, work on, and adjust.
Direct feedback from factory team drivers, as well as customers from around the world, allowed the XRAY factory to turn a concept into reality… this is what we do best at XRAY.
Designed in virtual reality using the world’s most sophisticated CAD tools, and manufactured using the world’s best machining and molding machinery, the X12 achieves a level of premium perfection in all details that is second to none. All parts are purpose-designed and manufactured by XRAY, so all parts fit and work perfectly together.
In a world where overly-complicated designs hinder rather than enhance, the X12 stands alone and ahead as the best performing out-of-the-box racer.
See it. Feel it. Drive it.
XRAY X12 Platform.
Legendary XRAY premium design, workmanship & material quality and unmatched attention to the finest details result in a state of perfection achieved by well thought-out refinements to create a car that is easy to drive, work on, and adjust. From unique HUDY Spring Steel™, through the world’s strongest Swiss 7075 T6 aluminum, along with XRAY’s own secret composite mixtures, to the premium high grade graphite materials… everything is exclusive and premium on the X12. Using premium European exclusive materials crafted by XRAY’s engineering artists using the state of the art German, Italian, and Swiss CNC machines, the X12 is a blend of only the world’s finest.
The new narrower chassis was redesigned for improved steering response and overall traction for all track surfaces. The narrow chassis has more torsional stability which results in increased grip and at the same time eliminates the scrub effect in high-speed corners. With the new narrow chassis the car handles bumps much better as well.
CNC-machined chassis is custom-manufactured from stiffer 2.5mm high-grade graphite material with a specially-designed compound for carpet pancar racing.
As part of the new chassis design, weight balance was thoroughly redesigned and improved. The battery placement was moved to the left side for improved side-to-side weight balance and to reduce rear pod binding caused by motor wires. With the new chassis layout the electronics wiring access was improved.
The position of the battery placement in the chassis has a significant influence on weight balance adjustment. To offer instant and comfortable weight balance adjustment – depending on various track conditions – the battery placement can be quickly changed from horizontal to vertical. Smart and handy - an all-new unique feature and system.
Centralized Shock Mount.
The new front center shock mount was completely redesigned. The entire platform was moved from the side to the absolute center of the chassis. The rigid centrally-mounted shock mount prevents tweak and significantly improves side-to-side stability.
The new narrower chassis with new narrow rear pod design allows the composite rear pod links to be placed more centrally, resulting in increased steering response and improved side-to-side weight transition.
The compact and ultra-lightweight rear pod is constructed from high-strength aluminum bulkheads, a rear aluminum brace, and thin but strong high-grade graphite plates.
The smart pod design allows for super-easy motor top access, accommodating all motors. Eccentric composite bushings are included for ultra-fine rear ride height adjustment.
Pod Upper Plate.
The new rear pod upper allows mounting center shock absorber more forward which results in more progressive damping which improves forward traction & handling over bumps.
Rear Link Brace.
The new rear graphite brace has a reinforced design with increased durability and tweak resistance. With the new design, the side spring suspension has more reliable and responsive performance.
The rear brace has two different cutouts which allow the precise fit of the battery – depending on battery placement – either horizontally or vertically.
To improve side traction and the handling of the car, the side springs and spring caps feature a new straight design compared to the previously used conical shape. The straight side springs have more consistent and smoother compression which results in smoother out-of corner exiting, and it also helps prevent traction rolling.
Track Width Adjustment.
The front suspension has been completely redesigned and improved. The new lower suspension arms feature smart eccentric aluminum inserts which allow quick & easy changing and setting up of track-width depending on track conditions. Optional aluminum 0.5mm and 1.0mm eccentrics are used to set the track-width either narrower or wider.
Ride Height Shims.
The new front suspension uses new ride height adjustment shims which enable very quick, precise and hassle-free ride height adjustment for various track conditions. The set of 0.2, 0.4 and 0.6mm ride height adjustment shims are included for fine tuning.
Premium Composite Parts.
All composite parts are manufactured by XRAY using premium self-developed composite mixtures which guarantee sufficient flex of the suspension parts, while being hard enough to withstand hard impacts.
Strong, simple, yet refined front suspension made from strong, lightweight, self-developed composite material. Reactive caster settings available using 2.5°, 5.0° or 7.5° eccentric bushings. Tiny yet strong HUDY Spring Steel™ upper pivotballs ensure smooth, bind-free operation, while composite lower pivotballs allow the front suspension to operate even more smoothly. Fast & easy adjustment of front caster, track-width, roll center and ride height via included shims and clips.
Reactive caster is easily adjustable by using easy-to-change eccentric bushings of 2.5°, 5.0° or 7.5° (included). Reactive caster is used to adjust the amount of caster change when the front end of the car is compressing (diving) or decompressing (rising).
Chassis features predrilled holes for the servo mounts on both left and right side which allows the placement of the servo to balance the car as necessary. Aluminum servo stands allow flat mounting of the servo to the chassis to keep lowest possible CG.
Super-smooth, hardened steel kingpins provide the foundation for the front suspension.
The quick adjustable Ackermann positions can be adjusted by adding/removing shims between the servo and servo holders. The composite shims included in the kit come in three different sizes: 3x6x1, 3x6x2, 3x6x3. Ackermann influences the steering of the car, and therefore it is important to make it an adjustable feature.
Tiny yet robust servo saver protects the servo from impact damage. Easy Ackermann adjustment is made via shims mounted below steering block pivotballs.
The rear suspension features a conventional rear pod that is adjustable via pivot-ball links, providing extremely easy assembly and tuning while being very effective and give the highest competitive performance.
Rear POD bulkheads are CNC-machined from premium extra-hard Swiss 7075 T6 aluminum, additionally black coated for long life and stylish look. The bulkheads are strategically machined to reduce weight to minimum while retaining strength.
Rear Ride Height.
Ride height is easily adjustable using included eccentric rear axle bushings, as well as adjustable shock preload for middle ride height adjustment.
The open top design of the rear pod left-side bulkhead provides super-easy motor top access. The rear pod accommodates all motors.
The ultra strong lightweight steel axle is used to provide maximum reliability even in the serious crashes. The rear differential features high-grade precision carbide balls for spur gear, hardened and precision-ground D-steel shims, and premium carbide axial thrust bearing.
Precision-molded spur gear are made from XRAY's exclusive composite material, ensuring true running, super-quiet operation, and robustness for handling powerful motors. A range of optional spur gears for fine tuning is available.
Micro Shock Absorber.
XRAY micro shock has a scaled-down design from it’s “big brother” counterpart in XRAY’s successful touring car platform. The fully-adjustable shock features an aluminum shock body that is hard-anodized for ultra durability. The fine-threaded shock body allows for quick and easy shock spring preload adjustment. Tiny thin shock membrane gives smooth dampening characteristics, and a super-soft silicone shock O-ring gives super-smooth operation while preventing oil leakage. The ultra-finely finished shock shaft with precise-molded composite shock piston ensures optimum shock oil flow and smooth shock absorber action. A simple yet smart shock construction allows for quick and easy shock-length adjustment for rear pod downstop adjustment.
Lateral damping side tubes provide ultra-smooth side damping, making the car easier to drive and easier to work on. The outer aluminum tube and inner Delrin® tube operate ultra-smoothly.
Front upper 3mm adjustable HUDY Spring Steel™ camber turnbuckles are lightweight yet can withstand hard impacts, with precision threading to ensure fine camber adjustment. Steering linkages are made from adjustable 4mm turnbuckles manufactured from lightweight aluminum.
High-precision, HUDY Spring Steel™ upper pivot balls and composite lower pivot balls ensure smooth & precise movement of the front suspension.
Ultra-precise wheel axles CNC-machined from premium HUDY Spring Steel™ are additionally hardened and hand ground for precision fitment.
Alu Rear Hubs.
Aluminum rear hubs are machined from lightweight aircraft aluminum, specially lightened and black-coated for stylish looks. The rear left aluminum wheel hub features a center-balanced clamping mounting system, ensuring secure mounting while eliminating vibration and run-out.
A tiny lightweight antenna mount secures the lightweight yet strong molded fiberglass rollover antenna.
Front Chassis Protection.
Composite front chassis protectors provide protection where the car needs it most… in the front corners of chassis where damage may occur from racing impacts.
Adjustable Body Posts.
Robust body posts with fully-adjustable body holders; optional super fine +1 or +2mm body backstops available optionally for even more super-fine body height adjustment.
XRAY Premium Silicone Oils are manufactured in Europe by a specialized premium silicone oil manufacturer; these new oils were exclusively created for XRAY. Each batch of premium oil is laboratory tested and calibrated to ensure the highest possible consistency and quality batch-to-batch. Based on the industry-standard cSt rating, the new line of oils will be easy to identify, adjust, and feel.
When following any setup sheets by XRAY or XRAY team drivers, you can be sure that the oils you will get for your car will be exactly same as used by the factory racing team, thus ensuring very exacting setups and handling of the car.
Fully adjustable front camber, caster, and toe; front & rear track-width, front & rear ride height, front & rear springs, rear shock absorber, rear downstop, pod damping, battery position, pod weight balance, and chassis tweak.
Chassis Weight Balance Adjustment.
Chassis and rear POD features pre-drilled centerline holes for optimum weight balance adjustment using HUDY Balancing Tool #107880
XRAY Instruction Manual.
XRAY Instruction Manuals have become the industry standard, and are simply the best manuals you will ever get with an RC model car. Whether you are a first-time builder or an experienced racer, all the instructions are straight-forward and easy to understand. The full-color instruction manual contains large 3D illustrations for easy comprehension.
XRAY’s VIP Customer Treatment.
Owning an XRAY model racing car is an experience on its own. Not only will you own the most premium luxury model racing car, but you will also become a member of the prestigious family of XRAY owners with superb support and service from the XRAY factory. The XRAY Web portal features up-to-date racing news and latest product developments. If you have any questions, problems or comments, you can ask the XRAY Support Team or any XRAY Factory Team Driver on the XRAY support forum. You can even upload your own set-up sheets or download from the largest RC set-up database at the exclusive XRAY Virtual Set-up Sheet Database. And that is only the start of the VIP treatment you get by joining Team XRAY.
2014 All-new Specs
- All-new chassis
- All-new narrow design
- All-new narrow rear Pod
- All-new weight balance
- All-new centralized shock mounting position
- All-new battery placement
- All-new rear link brace
- All-new straight side springs
- All-new front suspension arms
- All-new front track width adjustment
- All-new ride height adjustment
- All-new front eccentric inserts
- All-new ride height shims
- All-new rear steel axle
- More reliable and responsive performance
- XRAY 1/12 pan-car with authentic 100% self-developed XRAY parts, designed and manufactured parts by XRAY in Europe
- Legendary XRAY premium design, workmanship & material quality and unmatched attention to the finest details
- Simple yet effective and proven design, well thought-out details, unmatched precision of all small details
- High-competition design with focus on ultra-low weight, resulting in super-lightweight construction
- Optimized for indoor carpet racing as well as outdoor asphalt racing
- CNC-machined chassis from stiff custom-manufactured 2.5mm high-grade graphite material with specially-designed compound for carpet and asphalt racing
- Chassis layout designed to give sufficient stiffness for excellent handling, but flexible enough to generate sufficient grip and traction
- Super-narrow chassis design and layout with all weight centralized along the centerline
- Chassis and rear pod features pre-drilled centerline holes for optimum weight balance adjustment using HUDY Balancing Tool #107880
- Composite front chassis protectors protect the front of the chassis in crashes
- Robust body posts with fully-adjustable body holders; optional super fine +1 or +2mm body backstops available optionally for even more super-fine body height adjustment
- Tiny lightweight antenna mount secures lightweight yet strong molded fiberglass rollover antenna
- Chassis design allows to use both horizontal and vertical battery placement
- Redesigned & improved front suspension
- Front lower & upper arms and steering blocks made from hard material to make the car easier to drive and give smoother steering
- High-competition, fully-adjustable front suspension with super-clean design of all composite suspension parts
- Lower suspension arms feature smart eccentric aluminum inserts for quick & easy changing and setting up of track-width
- Optional aluminum 0.5mm and 1.0mm eccentrics are used to set the track-width either narrower or wider
- Ride height adjustment shims for very quick, precise and hassle-free ride height adjustment for various track conditions; set of 0.2, 0.4 and 0.6mm ride height adjustment shims are included
- All composite parts manufactured by XRAY using premium self-developed composite mixtures which guarantee sufficient flex of the suspension parts yet hard enough to withstand heavy crashes
- Fast & easy front caster adjustment via included clips
- Reactive caster adjustment of preset 2.5°, 5.0° or 7.5° via easy-to-change eccentric bushings
- Ultra-precise wheel axles CNC-machined from premium HUDY Spring Steel™ additionally hardened and hand ground for precision fitment
- High-precision, HUDY Spring Steel™ upper pivot balls ensure super-fine movement of the front suspension under compression
- Composite lower pivot balls allow the front suspension to work more smoothly
- Front upper 3mm adjustable HUDY Spring Steel™ camber turnbuckles are lightweight yet can withstand heavy crashes
- Chassis features predrilled holes for the servo mounts on both left and right side which allows the placement of the servo to balance the car as necessary
- Super-tiny yet robust steering blocks with specially-designed axles which prevent axle spinning while tightening the wheel locking nuts
- Pivoting front suspension with super-smooth hardened steel kingpins supported by soft springs; optional medium, hard, and extra-hard suspension springs available as options
- Aluminum servo mounts position servo flat on the chassis to ensure lower possible center of gravity
- Tiny yet robust servo saver with easy Ackermann adjustment via shims mounted below pivot balls
- 4-spring servo saver makes the car steer more precisely and smoothly
- Specially-designed narrow composite ball joints
- Adjustable, super lightweight Swiss 7075 T6 aluminum turnbuckles
- Compact and ultra-lightweight narrow rear pod constructed from high-strength aluminum bulkheads, rear aluminum brace, and strong high-grade 2.5mm graphite plates
- Composite rear pod links located centrally and moved more into the center, resulting in increased steering response and improved side-to-side weight transition
- Rear pod upper allows mounting center shock absorber more forward which results in more progressive damping to improve forward traction & handling over bumps
- Rear pod bulkheads CNC-machined from premium extra-hard Swiss 7075 T6 aluminum, additionally black coated for long life and stylish look
- Rear bulkheads are strategically machined to reduce weight to minimum while retaining strength
- Premium-grade graphite upper deck provides solid attachment for shock absorber to rear pod
- Tweak resistant graphite rear brace
- Super-easy motor top access
- Rear pod accommodates all motors
- Eccentric composite bushings included for ultra-fine rear ride height adjustment
- Rear differential features high-grade precision carbide balls for spur gear, hardened and precision-ground D-steel shims, and premium carbide 3x8mm axial thrustbearing
- Ultra strong hollow rear axle
- Precision-molded spur gear made from XRAY's exclusive composite material, ensuring true running, super-quiet operation, super lightness and robustness for handling powerful motors
- Aluminum rear hubs machined from lightweight aircraft aluminum, specially lightened and black coated for stylish look
- Lightweight rear wheel mounting screws for reduced rotating weight
- Rear left aluminum wheel hub with center-balanced clamping mounting system, ensures secure mounting while eliminating vibration and run-out
- Easy rear track-width adjustment via included shims
- Rear body posts are mounted to the chassis via a wide independently-mounted graphite holder, ensuring body downforce is properly transferred to the chassis
- Rear pod weight balance can be easily adjusted via shims between motor and bulkhead
- Straight side springs have more consistent and smoother compression for smoother out-of corner exiting, and reduction of traction rolling
- XRAY micro shock with similar design as it’s “big brother” counterpart in XRAY’s successful T4 touring car platform
- Centralized position of the shock absorber
- Fully-adjustable shock with aluminum shock body hard-anodized for ultra durability and additionally black coated for stylish look
- Fine-threaded shock body for quick and easy shock spring preload adjustment
- Tiny thin shock membrane gives super-smooth dampening characteristics
- Super-soft silicone shock O-ring for smooth operation while preventing oil leakage
- Ultra-finely finished shock shaft with precise-molded composite shock piston ensures optimum shock oil flow and smooth shock absorber action
- Simple yet smart shock construction allows for quick and easy shock-length adjustment for downstop adjustment
- Shock position adjustment via shimming of HUDY Spring Steel™ shock ball studs
- Rear pod side balance is controlled by side tubes which give equalized lateral damping in both directions and eliminates unwanted rebound
- Rigid centrally-mounted shock mount prevents tweak and significantly improves side-to-side stability
Assembly & support:
- Highest quality of all composite parts ensures super-precise fitment, easy assembly, and smooth operation of all parts
- Premium 3D full-color Instruction Manual
- Exclusive Virtual Online Setup Sheet database with thousands of setup sheets for race tracks around the world
- Premium, unmatched XRAY online support
- Front camber, caster, and toe
- Front & rear track-width
- Front, center & rear ride height
- Front springs & shock absorber
- Downstop & pod damping
- Front brace stiffness
- Differential setting
Class: 1/12 electric pan car
Width: adjustable 167mm +/- 2mm front, 169mm rear
Length: 264 mm (varies depending on rear tires used)
Wheelbase: 201+/- 0.5mm
Weight: 202 g
Ready-to-run weight: 840 g - incl. BL system (varies depending on equipment used)
Chassis: 2.5mm carbon fiber,CNC machined
Body: not included, uses 1/12 pan car type
Type: 2wd direct drive to rear axle
Rear Axle: Steel shaft with ball differential
Bearings: High-speed ball-bearings (10)
Front: Spring-supported, kingpin-style front suspension with composite upper & lower suspension arms and steering blocks
Rear: Articulating rear motor pod adjustable via pivot-ball links, controlled by rear shock absorber.
Rear Shock: Central adjustable oil-filled shock absorber
Ride Height: Adjustable front + rear
Camber: Adjustable front
Front Caster (Static): 1–14.5° static adjustable static caster
Front Caster (Reactive): 2.5–7.5° adjustable reactive caster
Track-width: Adjustable front and rear
Toe: Adjustable front
Downstop: Adjustable rear
Ackermann: Adjustable with shims
Steering: Direct linkage between steering servo saver and steering blocks
Balance: Front/rear weight balance adjustable via battery position
Wheels: not included
Tires: not included
Instructions: Full-color instruction manual
Set-up book: not included, the 2-color set-up book (16 pages) can be downloaded and it shows previous XRAY models in photographs contained within it. However, the methodology and set-up theory are the same for all 1/12 pan cars
Packaging: Carton box with vinyl bags with parts
Additionally included: HUDY Diff Grease, Authentication Certificate, set-up sheet, parts list & exploded view, decals, oils
Not included: Motor, batteries, speed controller, tires, body, steering servo, radio equipment