Password: Log In:

Notices

Hot News and New Stuff Forum Cars, Trucks, Boats Up-to-the minute news on the latest kits, RTRs, parts, accessories and more. Be sure to subscribe!

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardude04 View Post
...or being pissed that my memory cards from Jet Moto won't work any more.
-Eric
I'm pissed that no one has remade that game! Man I loved Jet Moto!

Now back to R/C and motor mount screw holes
Old 11-22-2013, 09:05 AM
Certifiable RC Addict

Motors like the Aveox RC7, Plettenburg Shadow, and pretty much anything made by Neu are better than any 2-pole ROAR motor made. It is funny that it is the offroad market that realizes this and is starting to allow motors like the Tekin Pro4 and Pro2 which are 4-pole motors. ROAR's rules regarding brushless motors are very narrow minded and are literally based on the design of the original Novak SS motors. At the time, there were many other motors in the hobby but ROAR chose to ignore those and write their rules based on the worst design at the time. I do own ROAR style motors, but they run like crap compared to any of the older 4 and 6 pole motors.

The fact that today's motors have the 6 hole pattern isn't mandated by any ruling body. ROAR merely says that the holes must be on a 1" dimeter (8.5.4.1).
The Following User Says Thank You to kufman For This Useful Post:
packhntr (11-22-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
Motors like the Aveox RC7, Plettenburg Shadow, and pretty much anything made by Neu are better than any 2-pole ROAR motor made. It is funny that it is the offroad market that realizes this and is starting to allow motors like the Tekin Pro4 and Pro2 which are 4-pole motors. ROAR's rules regarding brushless motors are very narrow minded and are literally based on the design of the original Novak SS motors. At the time, there were many other motors in the hobby but ROAR chose to ignore those and write their rules based on the worst design at the time. I do own ROAR style motors, but they run like crap compared to any of the older 4 and 6 pole motors.

The fact that today's motors have the 6 hole pattern isn't mandated by any ruling body. ROAR merely says that the holes must be on a 1" dimeter (8.5.4.1).
I find it amazing that you are complaining so vociferously about a car you are not going to buy. Just for something to say? If you think that it is more important to continue to use the motors you have and not use a car with a motor mount that won't fit those motors (which are not legal for the intended purpose of the car anyway) what is the point of complaining? Are you complaining because you want to buy a $450 race kit for bashing?

You can't use it for racing with those motors, regardless of whether they are "better" or not. Rules aren't always about the best. If you have been in RC long enough to own 10 year old brushless motors, you should already have recognized rules aren't about the best. They are about providing a framework for racing that most people want to do.

The great majority of TC racers run Novak pattern 17.5 turn motors. That's where the entries are. The reason is, the great majority of racers are just not good enough to drive an open mod touring car without breaking lots of parts and they know it. They want to have fun, not spend money replacing broken parts. Racers enter the 17.5 class because the speed is such that the cars are drivable and most will finish the race they started rather then ending up in splinters because of a single driving mistake with a much faster car. This car was designed to accomodate the great majority of races. I bet you don't even want to be considered a member of that majority.
The Following User Says Thank You to ta_man For This Useful Post:
rccardude04 (12-08-2013)
Old 11-23-2013, 06:47 AM

There are a lot of other features on this car besides the motor mount.
I will be interested to see how this car stacks up against the Schumacher Mi5. That's the nicest looking touring car chassis I have seen in years, and it certainly seems to be at the top in performance terms around here.
The Following User Says Thank You to LongRat For This Useful Post:
packhntr (11-24-2013)
Old 11-23-2013, 10:56 AM
Certifiable RC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta_man View Post
I find it amazing that you are complaining so vociferously about a car you are not going to buy. Just for something to say? If you think that it is more important to continue to use the motors you have and not use a car with a motor mount that won't fit those motors (which are not legal for the intended purpose of the car anyway) what is the point of complaining? Are you complaining because you want to buy a $450 race kit for bashing?

You can't use it for racing with those motors, regardless of whether they are "better" or not. Rules aren't always about the best. If you have been in RC long enough to own 10 year old brushless motors, you should already have recognized rules aren't about the best. They are about providing a framework for racing that most people want to do.

The great majority of TC racers run Novak pattern 17.5 turn motors. That's where the entries are. The reason is, the great majority of racers are just not good enough to drive an open mod touring car without breaking lots of parts and they know it. They want to have fun, not spend money replacing broken parts. Racers enter the 17.5 class because the speed is such that the cars are drivable and most will finish the race they started rather then ending up in splinters because of a single driving mistake with a much faster car. This car was designed to accomodate the great majority of races. I bet you don't even want to be considered a member of that majority.
You are correct, I couldn't care less about the touring market anymore. It is a dead class in most of the country. The thing that most agitates me is companies building designs that go away from standards. Cars that use special batteries, motors, etc. The only place near me that still runs touring is the local parking lot races and I would never buy a car like this for the parking lot. As it turns out, my TC3 and TC4 are still competitive in a 17.5 class since they are perfectly balanced with today's electronics and they keep the weight closer to the center line too. The TC5 was the absolute worst in that respect.

Quote:
There are a lot of other features on this car besides the motor mount.
I will be interested to see how this car stacks up against the Schumacher Mi5. That's the nicest looking touring car chassis I have seen in years, and it certainly seems to be at the top in performance terms around here.
The MI5 is a very interesting car with the ladder style top deck and carbon suspension arms. It will be interesting to see how it handles compared the industry standard design (X-Ray, AE, Tamiya, etc).
The Following User Says Thank You to kufman For This Useful Post:
T3GT (11-26-2013)
Old 11-30-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
You are correct, I couldn't care less about the touring market anymore. It is a dead class in most of the country. The thing that most agitates me is companies building designs that go away from standards. Cars that use special batteries, motors, etc. The only place near me that still runs touring is the local parking lot races and I would never buy a car like this for the parking lot. As it turns out, my TC3 and TC4 are still competitive in a 17.5 class since they are perfectly balanced with today's electronics and they keep the weight closer to the center line too. The TC5 was the absolute worst in that respect.
So then this motor mount shouldn't annoy you at all. While it is not specified in the ROAR rules, essentaily all the motors that are legal to run in this car for santioned racing have the screw hole setup to fit this mount.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:10 AM
Certifiable RC Addict

Guy probably has a CRT TV at home and watches movies on VHS.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
Guy probably has a CRT TV at home and watches movies on VHS.
nothing wrong with that

anyway im confused as to why a factory team kit comes with a gear diff in the rear. gear diffs suck.
also confused as to why they think this things worth $420 dollars. id go like $280 at my LHS tops. no 1/10 TC is worth more than $300. period. no wonder TC's are dead, nobody can afford one anymore.
packhntr (12-10-2013)
Old 12-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbnHooligan View Post
nothing wrong with that

anyway im confused as to why a factory team kit comes with a gear diff in the rear. gear diffs suck.
also confused as to why they think this things worth $420 dollars. id go like $280 at my LHS tops. no 1/10 TC is worth more than $300. period. no wonder TC's are dead, nobody can afford one anymore.
I guess you haven't been keeping up with them, then, because today, pretty much ALL racing touring cars are coming with a spool in front & a gear diff in the rear(& trust me, today's gear diffs work just fine, build them right & put the appropriate oil in them & they'll work VERY well & last a LOT longer between rebuilds than the best ball diff). I can understand the pessimism, since I thought the same way, until I tried it for myself(on my Tamiya TRF417, also comes with a front spool & rear gear diff), & I've been VERY impressed with how it's run, built it back in Feburary & still haven't had to rebuild the rear diff(thing hasn't even lost a drop of oil, outdrives are SPOTLESS) & it's as smooth as silk. Oh, & also $420 isn't that bad for a top-level TC, the top XRays & Tamiyas are going for around $580 street price(though I agree that's a LOT of money, which is why I just have a regular 417, got mine for $400 even, didn't feel I could afford the newest gen. version). I do wish they'd sell 'em for less, but it is what it is(& the top level 4WD buggies are similarly costly, btw)....
Old 12-04-2013, 10:26 PM

i still say bah humbug. i hate oil filled diffs. can't turn'm on the fly. disassembly is required, oil must be kept on hand. it's a time consuming process bleh... never used one that was as smooth and consistent as a ball diff. and not to mention iv never seen one that didn't leak at least a little. nothing like getting your ass chewed cause your SC10 4x4 left a spluge stain on the carpet in the back of your wifes new explorer.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

For the record, this is a ROAR legal motor and it may not fit this strange new motor mount that AE and X-Ray are using.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ess-Motor-175T

Last edited by kufman; 12-08-2013 at 08:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-08-2013, 11:49 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

Quote:
For the record, this is a ROAR legal motor and it may not fit this strange new motor mount that AE and X-Ray are using.

And also FYI, Trinity has admitted that early endbell plates were drilled incorrectly and have offered customers free replacements.

I have no problems with the Killshot motor fitting my Xray T4.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:

Unless you wanted to mount it with the solder terminals on the bottom, it will fit fine. It may not have six holes evenly spaced, but it has two on the bottom so it could be mounted in that mount and in that McPappy pan car mount I linked to in an earlier post.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbnHooligan View Post
i still say bah humbug. i hate oil filled diffs. can't turn'm on the fly. disassembly is required, oil must be kept on hand. it's a time consuming process bleh... never used one that was as smooth and consistent as a ball diff. and not to mention iv never seen one that didn't leak at least a little. nothing like getting your ass chewed cause your SC10 4x4 left a spluge stain on the carpet in the back of your wifes new explorer.
I'm sure gear diffs are better than they were but I've always seen/known gear diffs as something that's a compromise when a ball diff won't hold up due to excessive torque/traction.

Touring cars have lots of horsepower now, so maybe that's the reason. Off-road still I think is better off with a ball diff just because if nothing else, they don't tighten as you start putting power down. The setting stays while you're putting down power.

-Eric