Password: Log In:

Notices

Hot News and New Stuff Forum Cars, Trucks, Boats Up-to-the minute news on the latest kits, RTRs, parts, accessories and more. Be sure to subscribe!

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Administrator

8.2hp Full Mod TR/OBR 4 Bolt Long Rod Reed Motor

New from Oneill Brothers Racing

Check out this New monster engine from Turtle Racing and Oneill Bros.

We are extremely proud to release the TR/OBR 4 bolt reed case. To start, we would like to thank Turtle Racing and Yamadude for all of their hard work that it took to make this happen! TR has spent countless hours and late nights designing the many prototypes that we went through making these cases to perfection.

Short teaser video
l More video will be available soon.

This is not a knock off or slight redesign of any current reed engine. Though there are only so many things that could be changed while still being able to fit into our 1/5th scale cars, there is a lot more that has gone into these cases than most will realize. Yamadude stepped in to assist and was a huge help with design and flow bench testing. Many prototypes had to be made to achieve the ideal intake track for the best possible flow.

Between the help of TR and Yamadude, that gave us the tools we needed to give you all more power! For those of you not familiar with our history we are coming up on our 10th year in business. We take a lot of pride in every engine that ships out of the OBR warehouse and we feel this one really reflects what we are capable of building. The development of this case took several months, a lot of labor, testing on our dyno, in-car testing and we could not be more pleased with the final product. We have seen horsepower and torque numbers we never thought possible out of engines this size. We are seeing quite a bit more torque and rpm’s as good, if not better than, our piston port long rod engines.

These cases are designed to be used exclusively with a +3mm long rod crankshaft and may not be used with a non long rod crankshaft. In able to offer you a better product, we’ve chosen to not use a crankcase gasket. This allows for tighter tolerances and higher reliability when a good sealant such as Yamabond is used. The deck height has been raised 3mm to prevent the need of a cylinder spacer. One standard gasket is all that is necessary.

As an option, you may choose to add a TR/OBR sealed clutch housing. When choosing this option, we will install three open crankcase bearings into your reed case. This option also allows for a direct fitment into any HPI Baja or Losi 5-ive T.

One of our favorite features is the three piece case design. Over our many years with large scale rc cars, we’ve seen our fair share of cracked crankcases. The TR/OBR reed case has a replaceable fan cover mount incase you ever crack or break it. This is a much cheaper alternative to replacing the whole or half case.

To top everything off, we’ve chosen Boyesen reed petals. We’ve also kept in mind that there’s more than just HPI’s out there. This reed case will fit any HPI Baja, Losi 5-ive T, MCD’s, FG’s and most other large scale rc cars.

We at OBR feel the 30.5cc reed case is one of the best-balanced engines we have ever engineered. We’ve seen a lot more torque than we’ve seen out of an engine this size while still reving over 20,000 rpms. We expect to have more options in the future, but this one is going to be hard to top. Fully ported with all of the bells and whistles your used to from our fully modified engines.

Tech note: Just about any CY/Zenoah, 2 or 4 bolt engine can be used to complete this long block. If you are not sure feel free to contact any of our staff for assistance.
Sponsored Links

Old 12-30-2011, 08:05 AM
Banned

I doubt 8.3HP, to be honest. But this thing looks like a mean engine, and if it's hitting 20,000RPM it's gonna be a screamer just the same. I'm glad it's not blinged out, too, it looks like it's designed for people who don't shelf-queen.

I'd run it if I had something to run it in.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:49 PM

^^OBR makes some of the best modded petrol motors in the biz. I'd be willing to take their word for it on 8.3HP.
The Following User Says Thank You to killaj For This Useful Post:
Admin2 (12-30-2011)
Old 12-30-2011, 12:58 PM
Administrator

They state 8.2hp and there is no doubt they are achieving this number. This is a completely purpose built engine designed by some of the best people in the business.
OBR had been around 10 years and has a proven Record on performance and reliability.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:37 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

That just made my morning! What a beautiful piece of work! I wouldn't mind having that in my FG...or MCD...or anything else for that matter!
Old 12-30-2011, 04:54 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

very nice! With all that power you will definitely want to pick the right towers so you can put that down on the track.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:56 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

Just for reference, what does a stock 26cc motor output? Trying to wrap my head around 8.3 hp....Awesome
Old 12-31-2011, 12:38 AM
Administrator

2.5-3hp depending on type of engine and pipe
Old 12-31-2011, 08:20 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

Man that motor has some serious specs and horsepower!! Any quotes on price yet?
Old 12-31-2011, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Havn't seen a price yet. But I am sure it will be close to a TR reed case and BZMMicro.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Banned

I still want to see third party dyno sheets before I buy 8.3HP.

Not hating on OBR, and I would definitely run this engine if I could afford it and had something to stick it in, as the RPM stat alone shows it to be quite the screamer. I don't doubt it in the least, fo' sho' it will run rings around the stock Fuelies in Baja 5bs. I'm just naturally skeptic about HP numbers, doesn't matter what kind of engine it is. I say the same thing about Ferrari engines. If all I've got to go on regarding HP is the honesty of a PR guy who's getting paid to move engines I'm going to want some third party proof before I take it at face value.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Dyno numbers beyond an estimated baseline are useless for these small 2-strokes. There are hundreds of pipe, carb, ignition system combinations which have immense impacts on performance and the #'s. No 2 dyno's will ever achieve the same numbers due to temp, humidty, altitude, variances in fuel and oils and dyno settings and type.
OBR's claim of 8.2hp is a baseline with testing of a given setup.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking dyno's are the answer all to rated HP because they are not.

I personally know everyone who was involved in the design and manufacture of this engine and all of them are very respected within the market and have been around for years.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Certifiable RC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 379 View Post
I say the same thing about Ferrari engines. If all I've got to go on regarding HP is the honesty of a PR guy who's getting paid to move engines I'm going to want some third party proof before I take it at face value.
I agree. Ferrarri motors must be low HP because they sell 200 mph speedometers expecting to use only the first half of the gauge. - Not

In other news; the motor isn't being offered by RB Innovations. Why so sceptical?
Old 01-04-2012, 07:17 PM

Any good PR person knows you can't flat out lie becuase third party testers will expose the lie as soon as they hit the market, and considering nothing disproving these guys previous claims has ever come out of third party testing, why would anyone assume they are going to lie about this one?

and even if third party says the thing only puts out 7hp using their test parameters thats still going to be silly fast in any 5th scale, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up making more than 8.2hp, things I've read about other engines they have done they were rated on the low side, and like has been said HP is a useless number anyway when you are talking about a 30 - 40 lbs toy car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 379 View Post
I still want to see third party dyno sheets before I buy 8.3HP.

Not hating on OBR, and I would definitely run this engine if I could afford it and had something to stick it in, as the RPM stat alone shows it to be quite the screamer. I don't doubt it in the least, fo' sho' it will run rings around the stock Fuelies in Baja 5bs. I'm just naturally skeptic about HP numbers, doesn't matter what kind of engine it is. I say the same thing about Ferrari engines. If all I've got to go on regarding HP is the honesty of a PR guy who's getting paid to move engines I'm going to want some third party proof before I take it at face value.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobf24 For This Useful Post:
Admin2 (01-04-2012)