PDA

View Full Version : Tamiya TB01

Aluma
12-19-2001, 10:55 AM
Hey, guys I noticed this chassis isn't represented.... and I was thinking of buying one....

so if you got one, whats the low down on these rally cars?

any problems?

any special set-ups?

any tips?

what y'all running?

any victories?

any explosions?

M 5
12-19-2001, 02:18 PM
I have no idea how this car runs, but I bought it, assembled it and sold it because I think its too heavy. I have no idea about rally cars but this is twice as heavy as my TA04.

Aluma
12-19-2001, 05:14 PM
I guess Tamiya really wanted to beef up the chassis to take a beating for the "expected use" of rally racing...maybe they went overboard with the weight as an oversight. anyone else?

Comments? I know I like the idea of a completely sealed chassis.

my TL01 get REALLY dirty with just a run down my street...all the little pebbles ....sounds like maracas when I pick it up.:D

PCC
12-27-2001, 12:44 PM
I bought a used TB01 on-road conversion from a buddy. It's got the graphite chassis, graphite propeller shaft, and probably some other upgrades. I'm trying to set it up with a 190mm suspension right now with CVD's. I only drove it once so far and that was with the narrower stock suspension. It's not a bad car from what I can tell but I wanted to fill the wheelwells more.

trxstr1961
12-28-2001, 05:44 PM
does anyone know what other brand of spurs will work on this car, i have a tbo1 and want to change the gear to something more common:confused:

NMT_RACER_BOY
01-02-2002, 12:40 AM
I finally found some info on this baby!!!
looks soo sweet
guess i am gonna get this one over the HPI (I think, i am not sure... HPI's one has 200mm track)

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/58271imp_2001proto/impreza.htm

Aluma
01-09-2002, 06:02 PM
yeah, sounds like a good idea to get a TB01 over an RS4 rally cuz of the belt problems...besides, from what I've read, TB01 can take a beating and not break....RS4 break parts easy, belts can tear with a tiny pebble.

I know my TL01 can jump too, and it's not a rally car... get this...I was using my apartment's rear parking space as a road course with the metal beams that hold it's roof as pylons...by a 2mm mistake,:), I clipped the rear arm going full speed on a modified motor and instead of ripping the car apart(I know anyother kit would have), it just made a 1mm crack in the rear gear cover....
is that thing built tough or WHAT!! I"ve even done 2 foot high jumps and landed cartwheeling, end over end, skidding upside down, and no cracks, breaks ...just scuffed body and wing.(nope not even the wing broke off) hope the TB01 can take that kind of back yard bashing! :) go TAMIYA!!

ShinHed
01-13-2002, 11:52 AM
The TB01 becomes a great handler after you invest lots of money. I want to say it can be as good as a TB EVO but, I have never driven one.

RustlerBoy
01-18-2002, 08:03 PM
anyone use the TB01 fro rally? I want a rally car, and wopnder if this a a good one?

hpidriver
04-07-2002, 02:49 PM
i just want to comment on the rs4 rally. i know this is a tb01 thread and trust me, i'm not here to bash on it. i want to stick up for the rally though, i have a rs4 rally and i've had no problems what so ever with it. no belt breakage, or anything. it's a great car, mine's fully loaded with carbon fiber everything. it's probably the lightest rally you'll ever find. i will also stick up for the tb01. i have never driven a tb01 in a rally mode (i have a evo) but the car it self and the chassis it's based on is great. there are a ton of things avalible for it and it's completely bulletproof. if your trying to choose between the rs4 rally and the tb01, i'd have to say get the tamiya. it's a little less cost and the money your saving can go towards hopups.......

Aluma
04-10-2002, 03:15 PM
well, thanx for the input... I decided and got a TB evolution 2.

figured I'd spend less than trying to mod a beginner car....like the cash hungry TL01....wooo that thing takes hopups champion...but its a good car to start with. :D

The evo 2 runs great!:D

jfc_tech
04-18-2002, 12:05 AM
Man i still love my TB01!!!:cool:

It rans in the rain with the cover on!! It competes with TC3, Yokomo MR4TC, HPI Pro3, Xray & TRF414. I can't ask more except for the Ev0 2 and the Altezza Body. Tamiya rules in quality and toughness.

Now the Super Touring motor 11Turn!!! what more can u say?

go tamiya!

killer_d76
05-19-2002, 09:50 AM
:: you're right jfc_tech!, with the cover on, you can run the car on tracks with water, gives a cool rally like effect (now who else would dare to do that on their non tamiya TB-01rally car?), you may also place a net mesh under the chassis where the motor is located, it'll help protect the motor from dirt and may also deflect water from getting inside the motor, now, regarding the TB-01 durability, i give Tamiya TB-01 two thumbs-up, hey compared to HPI RS4 Rally, which is prone to braking the suspension arms and other parts (unless boiled!) and Team Losi Rally Weapon, durability wise, MR-4TC Rally, eats up lots a dirt,TB-01 sure is the winner! i know i'm being biased, but hey, you'll see the difference, now the downside of the TB-01 would be it's weight, now to cure this problem, buy the allum. shaft and ligth weight gears, you'll notice the big difference when installed! beleive me!, don't get the carbon propeller co'z it's prone to brakage, you'll be wasting your money on buying carbon shafts, co'z it's not design to take the beating of the harsh environment of rallyworld! keep the spirit of rallying alive! -

ShinHed
05-19-2002, 10:10 AM
[i]...don't get the carbon propeller co'z it's prone to brakage, you'll be wasting your money on buying carbon shafts, co'z it's not design to take the beating of the harsh environment of rallyworld... [/B]

That stinky shaft can't even handle being driven onroad.:D

wyd
05-19-2002, 07:31 PM
My TB01 is pretty tricked out. I run in the Tamiya classes plus it can easily keep up with the normal stock class racers. I did alot to lighten it up. I put on a Tamiya Graphite toplate and took off the plastic one and those plastic wing type covers that go over the motor mount and steering. I also put in a small Hitec 225MG servo. I then put in a LRP Quantum speedo. Now when I run the Tamiya classes my car with rubber tires is not really a tank anymore. If I put on a Protoform Stratus and foams it is as light as most other touring cars. I also just put on Titanuim ti rods (blue Associated for a HPI RS4 nitro). Car is really fast and is really fun to run.

:D

phios
12-24-2002, 08:58 PM
Hey, I'm new to this RC Car thing, but I have a TB-01 and I snapped the front suspension mount for both shocks... Any idea where I can buy a hopped up aluminum mount? Also, can the TB-01 drivetrain withstand the torque of a brushless motor?

Thanks, Thomas

Dan H
12-25-2002, 05:27 AM
I think theres a guy in the TB-01 forum running a brushless with the plastic ring gears. So far he has had success running it onroad. I wouldn't recommend running offroad with the plastic ring setup though. Also I would be more worried about accelerated outdrive wear.

So far, the TB-01 feels decent. I expected worse but its actually not as bad as it seems at first. I'll be doing a few more tweaks to get it to handle better though for the Tamiya spec class.

wyd
01-06-2003, 12:08 AM
Well I worked on TB01 for about 5 hours today. I decided I was going to put it back together for some TCS racing. I run mine in GT2 or GT3. I will be putting in alot better stuff in it than I did before so it will give those TA04's a run now. I'm going to run the Futaba 9550 digital servo and the new Futaba MC800 esc. I will be putting in some better race packs instead of the old stuff I would run in it before. It always worked pretty well and was pretty fast but now it will be alot faster. I will use Tamiya's lightweight Nissan Calsonic body. I had my car weighing 3lbs 4 oz's without the lightweight body so it will be about a ounce lighter now. Should have it ready to run in about two weeks. Need to pickup the body and servo.

Archerboi
01-18-2003, 09:41 PM
Is there a TT-01 forum? I am thinking of getting the TT-01 rtr Integra from Tamiya. The reviews on it said its a great car. Is there a thread about it anyware? Thanks.

Janders
02-21-2003, 02:10 AM
I love my TB-01, it's almost indestructable

phios-

penguinrc makes a CF front and rear shock mount($10 each), and it's pretty thick(I just put mine on). They are also a lot cheaper than the aluminum version.

I'm sure my car is a weight pig, but for rally prurposes this isn't too bad, and the 15T I got in it makes it move pretty quickly. The only problem I have with it is the understeer on bumpy surfaces(gravel on asphalt), allthough playing with the suspension made this a little more acceptable, allthough the car still has a 'heavy asss'.

Papanoel
02-22-2003, 05:46 PM
I wanna buy a lower turn motor for my TB01 like 15T i know i need to change the gear but to what?

TRF Drive Hard
02-23-2003, 01:25 AM
In your manual, it should sow a chart of gear ratios... use the smallest pinion suggest from there... then, if you wat, work with the next higher pinion until you get the speed or "feel" of it... you can gear high, but becareful, too high can melt the wires off the motor;)

Papanoel
03-02-2003, 02:52 PM
does anyone have problesm with the little plastic piece that holds the battery in place? mine doesn't go in at all. Rather it doesn't go in far enough to expose the hole for the pin. I shaved plastic off of it to get to go deeper but it just won't get close enough.

Whacky
03-02-2003, 03:38 PM
does anyone have problesm with the little plastic piece that holds the battery in place? mine doesn't go in at all. Rather it doesn't go in far enough to expose the hole for the pin. I shaved plastic off of it to get to go deeper but it just won't get close enough.

I din't have this problem, do you only have this with the battery installed?

-Whacky.

fabolousRC
03-02-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Papanoel
I wanna buy a lower turn motor for my TB01 like 15T i know i need to change the gear but to what?

If you want to stick to the stock gearing setup, I'd recommend you to run either 19/61 or 19/58. I've used Chameleon Pro on both 16/61 and 19/61. On 16/61, I have more than enough power to do donuts plus lots of power slidding but not enough top end. On 19/61, it gives more top end without losing much of bottom end. Imagine if I ever put that 15 Turn Orion Rush on it...hmmm (where would i put that Rush on *thinking*)

Papanoel
03-02-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Whacky
I din't have this problem, do you only have this with the battery installed?

-Whacky.

Its hard to explain how it doesn't work but it doesn't work with our without battery in place.

The plastic that protrudes from the bottom of the piece hits a small "wall" on the chasis.

I tried cutting down the piece but still not enough room so i jsut use it with out that in place. battery doesn't have much room to move around anyway.

masTers
03-10-2003, 12:05 AM
Has anyone used or using the carbon drive shaft for this chasis? I just want some opinions before i shell out $60 australian for one.

Steve

Whacky
03-10-2003, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by masTers
Has anyone used or using the carbon drive shaft for this chasis? I just want some opinions before i shell out $60 australian for one.

Steve

Don't buy it, it breaks very easy even with the stock motor.
You are better off buying the Aluminium one!

-Whacky.

fabolousRC
03-11-2003, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by Whacky
Don't buy it, it breaks very easy even with the stock motor.
You are better off buying the Aluminium one!

-Whacky.

Hmm...how come mine doesn't break? Oh, apply thin coat of superglue on each end to make it stronger. Not too much...just light coat with cotton swabs. The part that really brittle and wears off easily are the ends of the CF shafts because the carbon are exposed and Tamiya made it with light bonding material but CA glue should cure and protect it from excessive wear and deformation (yes, I saw how it looked like when it was excessively worn out).

powertrip
03-12-2003, 09:49 PM
Do the 26mm wheels fit the TB01??? or can I run 26MM in the back and 24 in the front or can the 26mm fit both front and back?

I wanna pick up these wheels

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGK24&P=7

Whacky
03-13-2003, 06:29 AM
Yes you can fit the 24mm and 26mm wheels.

But be aware for offset, when using wheels with 0mm offset your car wil be 180mm wide, this does not look right on some wider body's (190mm).

Tamiya wheels usualy have 3mm offset! (they make the car 3mm wider on each side so 6mm in total!!!!

-Whacky.

powertrip
03-13-2003, 12:30 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and run 26mm on both front and back.. worst that could happen is it rubbing on the lexan. =)

powertrip
03-14-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by powertrip
I'm gonna go ahead and run 26mm on both front and back.. worst that could happen is it rubbing on the lexan. =)

the offset actually makes it go in more, i have rubbing in the back to the lower suspension arms. hmmm.. maybe i can use a wider hex nut for the wheel ( i have a couple from a TL01)..

masTers
03-22-2003, 03:23 AM
Is anyone running the oneway diff with this chasis yet? ive heard nothing but good things about the one way diff. Any opinions?

Albertt
04-15-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by powertrip
the offset actually makes it go in more, i have rubbing in the back to the lower suspension arms. hmmm.. maybe i can use a wider hex nut for the wheel ( i have a couple from a TL01)..

I'm running my TB01 with HPI wheels, 26mm wide, with a 3mm offset and I'm also using the spacers provided in the package of wheels. The wheels do not contact the suspension and just clear the wheelwells of the body.

Cotharyus
04-20-2003, 08:34 AM
I see some tire/wheel discussion going on here, and it looks like most of the good places I have available to run my TB01 are paved or concrete, which is rapidly eating up my rally tires, which I'd like to save for the one baseball diamond in the area that has a dirt infield. So I'd like a wheel/tire recommendation for onroad. I want wheels so that all I have to do is swap wheels and not change out tires, etc. I'd like a harder compound tire that won't wear so badly when I when I do a breaking drift around a hard 90. Thanks.

Albertt
04-21-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Cotharyus
I see some tire/wheel discussion going on here, and it looks like most of the good places I have available to run my TB01 are paved or concrete, which is rapidly eating up my rally tires, which I'd like to save for the one baseball diamond in the area that has a dirt infield. So I'd like a wheel/tire recommendation for onroad. I want wheels so that all I have to do is swap wheels and not change out tires, etc. I'd like a harder compound tire that won't wear so badly when I when I do a breaking drift around a hard 90. Thanks.

I find myself running on pavement quite often as well and I've managed to keep my rally tires off of the pavement. I invested in a set of HPI V-groove radials (pro compound) on-road tires and HPI rims. If you are able to, ask the local outdoor on-road racers what their tire choices are.

http://www.hpiracing.com/tires/tire-tc.htm

ginshun
04-22-2003, 09:22 PM
I love my tb-01, and it gets two thumbs up for durability. I have hade several crashes that I am sure would have busted my other cars, and the TB-01 just keeps on going. I have jumped it several times with no problems, as well as run it in the rain and in the snow. Currently I am running a 14T Speed Gem on stock gearing and it has tons of power. I have been thinking of trying out the 19/61 or 19/58 though, as i have a 19t Tamiya pinion laying around. Anybody try these gearings with a comperable motor? Any suggestions?

ZipDrive
04-22-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by ginshun
I love my tb-01, and it gets two thumbs up for durability. I have hade several crashes that I am sure would have busted my other cars, and the TB-01 just keeps on going. I have jumped it several times with no problems, as well as run it in the rain and in the snow. Currently I am running a 14T Speed Gem on stock gearing and it has tons of power. I have been thinking of trying out the 19/61 or 19/58 though, as i have a 19t Tamiya pinion laying around. Anybody try these gearings with a comperable motor? Any suggestions?

Hey ginsham u get good top end wiht that motor and that gearing? I just bought a 15 turn motor and was thinking of going with 19 T pinion with 61 spur.

As soon as i get that mod motor oil i'm running this car. Damn friggin hobby shop doesn't have any...what kind of crappy hobby shop.... grr oh well.

What kind of battery are you using too? You getting a good run time? I'm thinking of getting a 3000 nimh pack.

Cotharyus
04-23-2003, 07:17 AM
I'm running a 20T on a 58T spur, and it does pretty well. My accelleration has fallen off a little (as expected) but the top end is good, and it gets there with authority. This is running a 21turn havok motor (which is getting warm enough to make me believe I may have it a bit over geared) and an 1800 battery. Of course, I don't race this setup, I just terrorize all the locals running around with walmart/radio shack cars in the parking lots and baseball diamonds.

ginshun
04-23-2003, 05:44 PM
Acceleration is awesome, and the top end seems pretty good, but I was thinking of swithing to the 19t pinion just to try it out and see what the difference is. I am not sure exactly what the run time is. If I had to guess, I would say about 12 or 13 min, that is running with a 2000 battery. It doesn't really get all that warm as it is, so I think I will try the higher gearing setup and see what happens. I will tell you what I do know, is that swithching from the craptastic stock motor to the 14T speed gem is like night and day.

SubliminalCrack
06-21-2005, 06:06 PM
Well, I have a chart on what the different setups allow you to do.
16T goes w/ 61T
17T goes w/ 61T
18T goes w/ 61T
19T goes w/ 61T and 58T
20T goes w/ 58T
21T goes w/ 58T
22T goes w/ 58 and 55T
23, 24, 25T goes w/ 55T

The more teeth your pinion gear has, the less teeth your spur gear has, the faster top speed you will have. I like the 21/58 setup, because it's somewhat in the middle with acceleration and top speed. I also have a racing modified 19 turn motor installed on there. I think the stock is like 30 something haha.

And to go with all the other cool stories about how tough this car is, well, yeah it is!
I also have it set up for onroad right now, and ive gotten it 5 feet in the air, landed perfectly, nothing broken. Did it again but only got the right side of my car off the ground (narrow jump) and did one and a half barrel rolls, landed on its back, scuffed the body a bit and it's fine. EXTREMELY durable car.

(PS) SpeedGem 19 turns are GREAT... It's MUCH faster, quieter, and puts out less heat then the stock motor even though its geared lower than stock (stock is i think 16/61, I have it at 21/58). I VERY highly recommend it.

Aluma
06-24-2005, 09:49 AM
bashing for the street... get medial pro preglued radials, come two to a pack for 18 bucks. I have several sets in different compounds...I've only worn out the "soft" set after many many many runs...and actually I can still use them, but I gave them to a friend to try out his car with.

rally racing, you can put the wheel/tire combo from the DF02 chassis onto the TB01 and have some extra ground clearance too...and y'all really should go to a dedicated track, not a baseball diamond... that messing around is fun for a bit, but racing just doesnt...there's always someone to beat, some tweak to do, the right spring setup to find, etc... Its a blast.

creep
11-19-2007, 11:53 AM
I've retired my TBO1 to being a shelf queen and need some blue parts to perty it up. So far I have Tamiya CF chassis, long arm susp. upgrade, alum. motor mount, blue alum. clamping drive hexes, blue alum. ball studs, blue alum. motor heatsink, blue alum. antenna mount, swaybars, blue springs, alum. hinepin braces, and a blue tie rod replacing the one that goes between the servo and steering.

Here's what I would like to find.
-blue alum. driveshaft
-blue alum. motor mount
-blue swaybars
-blue alum shocks
-blue screw kit

If you know where I can find any of these parts or suggestions on some that aren't listed please let me know thanks.

creep
12-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Scratch the shocks, found some black coated TRF shocks with blue caps and preload collars. I've also added some Penguin R/C graphite shock towers.

adnudcyk
01-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Hi guys,

I need some help! I just bought my first RC car - TB-01. So far I have practically built the whole thing, i just havent made the cover and such. So heres the problem: i have all my servos installed to look like the ones in the manual. I have just turned the servos to face in the same direction as the ones in the guide. Now, i wanted to see if they worked before i put my actual battery in so i used the seperate battery pack (the one the comes with the servos and remote control) to see if it would work. the problem is that, when i turn on the remote and the car, the wheels just automatically turn left. i cant turn right either. when i do turn right, it just moves abit to the right. the tb-01 i bought also came with a ESC which i have connected in. when i turn everything on, the esc also turns to the left. i dont know why! can someone please help me!

i am using:
Futaba Attack 2ER radio control system - S3003 servos
Tamiya TB-01
Speed controller set that came with the car.

HELP!

oh and are the suspension and oil dampers suppose to not be screwed on tightly? mine wont go fully in tight?

creep
01-15-2008, 09:28 AM
With the power, off take the servo saver off the servo. Then set the steering trim on your transmitter in the middle. Now turn the power back on and the servo should center itself. When you put the servo saver back on it will probably be off to one side a little but should be easily corrected with the trim setting of the transmitter.

creep
01-15-2008, 09:33 AM
It sounds like you have an MSC (mechanical speed control) not an ESC. If you do then do the same thing for the msc servo except adjust the throttle trim instead of steering.

adnudcyk
01-19-2008, 02:12 AM
tell me if there is something wrong with my servos. when i drive around, then on my controller, i move it back to the neutral position, the car keep driving. sometimes it stops after a few seconds, other times it keeps going.

newdriftking
09-01-2010, 04:58 PM
I've just got hold of a TB-01 chassis. Any recommendations for the best choice of ESC,Servo and motor to run?

Old_School_RC_1
09-02-2010, 08:50 AM
None from me, all depends on your budget and intended purpose. The chassis and driveline are pretty robust, should have no issues with fitment or durability.