PDA

View Full Version : How to become a Team/Factory Driver???

franknitty69
08-09-2004, 10:25 AM
My 1st post. i think i'm good and i want to follow the path to becoming a team/factory driver (go to brazil for free, yeah).

i race 1/10 on-road, and maybe i'll get into 1/8 off-road (buggy/st).

i race ama supersport (motorcycle) and the way to "factory" was to race ama races and try to score as many points as possible or even win races. :)

ama races were structured w/supersport racing every sunday. With roar/ifmar it seems like their are races all over. different places, different times.

so my question is to move up in the roar/ifmar ranks as far as points are concerned, which races should i race? or is there even a points system?

i've done a search, so if these has already been answered i couldn't find it.

IMIURU
08-09-2004, 09:12 PM
this question has been asked many times.

you have almost answered your own question. It helps to be near a center point for r/c. Show up to regional, state and national events, and do well and be consistent. If you do then you will get noticed. If you have some good placings, then start sending out resumes to the companies you think you can make better by your presence. If your weekly race track has pro's that race there, then you can see what it takes to be a factory driver. These guys do things with their cars...well, if you have'nt seen them run, then go to the "big" races and watch them. I can win first everytime at one of the tracks I have run in any class, but on a higher level, those little mistakes I make to slow you down a few tenths here and there, start to show up really quick on the track.

surfer
08-09-2004, 09:22 PM
just get yourself qualified in the A main at the biggest race, youll get noticed!

Grizzbob
08-09-2004, 09:42 PM
Yup, it does take a LOT of practice, & to get noticed by the major manufacturers you'll have to compete in a number of the same big events as the best factory drivers, & prove you're ust as good as they are(if you can keep up with them in their own classes without a sponsor, trust me, they WILL notice). And if you pull that off, then you'll have a good chance of getting an offer from one of them, & from there you'll just have to work your way up, keep going to big events, doing just as well(& hopefully pushing those factory guys well) & also showing a good attitude & being helpful to others, both sponsored & non-sponsored(you need to be a good ambassador to the hobby/sport). It won't happen overnight, but it is certainly possible(& patience is definitely a virtue here)..... :cool:

Maverick Racer
08-10-2004, 02:58 AM
Go back to the bikes, trust me. Ha ha.

It depends on what your looking to accomplish with it. Trust me its harder then it seems. If you want to just race for fun, and get sponsers to help with the costs then thats one thing, but to be a paid driver that get sent to races thats another. Maby 500 guys in the world are in that position and thats a big maby. The most barely making 100g's. Maby 10 in the world make that, just for racing.

There is no points system, you just race for the win. Its not like in any other form of motorsport where you dont have to win every race to get noticed, in rc you do. Get a few nats wins under your belt, and a few worlds then you got it made. But trust me the first few races will be on your own coin. Mabey even all of them.

I have 4 full on signed contracts, ( not that 50 off bull either) that still does not get me sent to any races. I foot my own bill, with help from my parents to every nats, regional or worlds that I can go to. Theres good drivers there's great drivers, and then there are the best drivers. Unfortunatlly to be the best, you got to be born with it. Natural talent. Some have it all , some have part and some have none. If you got it, then just race and good things will happen with time. If you partially have it, then good luck cuz its a long uphill battle from here, and if you dont, se'ya later, stick to the club racing or the backyard and have a good time.

Good luck

Grant Tokumi
08-10-2004, 03:20 PM
100g's!!!??? (assuming thats a yearly salary). Wow. That very impressive if even one driver can make that much money. Is that really true?

Rick Hohwart
08-10-2004, 03:26 PM
100g's!!!??? (assuming thats a yearly salary). Wow. That very impressive if even one driver can make that much money. Is that really true?

No. 40k-50k tops for a couple of drivers.

savageP3
08-10-2004, 05:08 PM
most factory drivers also work for the company they drive for so they're not only getting paid for racing.

Grant Tokumi
08-10-2004, 08:31 PM
No. 40k-50k tops for a couple of drivers.
Whew. I was about to quit my day job. :) And I'm guessing that 40-50K includes working at the company??

rcguy2477
08-10-2004, 09:06 PM
Not only does getting sponsored require good driving, but it also requires you to know people. Most people who get sponsored, were sponsored because a friend recomended them, or becuase the owner of the company is friends with you. And also, most people start off with 50% off sponsorships, where they get half off the retail price, which sometimes makes it not even worth it. Take me for example, I recently got picked up by a new tire company and only get half off. I also have to get hobby shops to carry the products. For many racers it takes many years of racing to get sponsored, and the big boys usually have 10+ years of racing.

franknitty69
08-10-2004, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not looking to make $$$. That would be nice though. I just wanted to be able to go the big races across the world and not have to pay for plane tix. Also to remain competitive, i have to foot the bill on fuel, parts, etc.

So i guess i'll to start from the bottom.

another question currently i race 1/10 nitro on-road. do yo think that 1/8 off-road nitro is more competitive? i kinda want to get into 1/8th as well because racing is all year round.

MurcielagoR-GT
08-10-2004, 10:41 PM
i race ama supersport (motorcycle) and the way to "factory" was to race ama races and try to score as many points as possible or even win races. :)

Do you race in the actual AMA SuperSports series or a lower one? I looked up the points and could not find your name (assuming frank nitty is your name). I don't mean to say you don't really race I was just curious to see how you were doing! ;)

Or are you really Ben Spies or Tommy Hayden with a fake name! :D :D

franknitty69
08-10-2004, 10:44 PM
Do you race in the actual AMA SuperSports series or a lower one? I looked up the points and could not find your name (assuming frank nitty is your name). I don't mean to say you don't really race I was just curious to see how you were doing! ;)

i'm a privateer so that means i pay for everything. i had two bikes a suzuki gsxr-1000 and a gsxr-600. i raced the 600 in supersport and crashed out early this year and ruined the bike.

i could use the 1000 but it would cost too much to race prep it. i'm out until next year (if i get another 600).

Maverick Racer
08-11-2004, 03:03 AM

Yes and no. There are cash bouns's for winning races, plus I can name a few racers that have housing, and other big living items paid for. They may only take home 40-50 in cold cash, just for being on the team, but I have been told that a worlds win can bring in over $20,000 alone depeneding on the sponsers, and the racer. Typical salary + win money + housing, cars... thats adds up. My origional figure is accurate as to what a few can get in a year if on fire.

Hell I was told at the birds from a AE rep that they pay for education to minors. I know from personal expreience that that stuff aint cheap.

I have been told how much you guys pay out Rick for a big win. Its more then a couple of G's. Or so I have heard.