PDA

View Full Version : What got you hooked?????

97TRAKIN
11-03-2003, 07:13 PM
Let's see how many people we can get to admit to their addiction.
Remember admitting the problem is the first step to a cure, wait a minute I don't want to be cured!....:D .

I'll start.
I got hooked on rc boating (mainly nitro) back in 1986. I honed my driving, building, and tweeking skills on freinds boats. I got so good that a few freinds comissioned me as their driver/mechanic. I didn't own my very own fast nitro rc till 1996 a full ten years later. It was a prather 31" offshore deep V with a K&B .21 outboard tweeked to the hilllllls. My second rc was another of the same. After that it was a aeromarine cat with a K&B .82 inboard with aeromarine hardware. Then it was onto a home made mono with a K&B .82 and aeromarine hardware. After that it was onto a prather 40'' offshore deep V with a K&B 7.5 inboard and marine-specialties duel rudder HBR drive with the stand off bracket. Then it was onto a dumas skater 67 with a K&B .82 inboard tweeked to the hilllllllllllllllllllllllllllllls and marine-specialties duel rudder HBR drive without the stand off bracket.
I must say that with the HBR duel rudder drive I did not need a turn fin or trim tabs on any of the models I ran it on. Also although slightly over powered the skater 67 was the fastest rc I ever owned. Right now I am in the process of building a prather 46" offshore deep V with speed master and octura hardware. I am at a cross road between gas or nitro. I love the smell, sound, and speed of nitro but the simplicity of gas is calling to me.

bufferoo
11-03-2003, 09:41 PM
Let's see. It started when I was 9...I'm 31 now. I got a Tyco RC Porsche for christmas from my uncle. I have NEVER used any RC as much as I did that one. As parts started to break\wear out I started to "salvage" the rest. Found an old toy boat at the lake one day and I managed to stuff the car guts intot he boat and it actually floated and moved. Not well mind you, but it was controllable. I knew then that I wanted a real boat. Had a few cheapie boats as I was getting older. My dad gave me his CL gear from when he was a kid and that got me into planes. Got into RC planes in 1986. Bought a Nitro Viper in 1993 and have used\abused it ever since. I've heard so many negative things about this boat but I have yet to live any of them. Single most reliable and easy to use engine (GS11) I have EVER had. At least 5 gallons through it and it still fires up on 1 or 2 pulls of the starter. I've been "collecting" (as my wife calls it) parts for a few years now. Never really done anything with them other than just get them. Had the viper to keep me busy.:D :D Finally getting around to putting stuff together. I figure that I have the parts to make almost 3 more boats. Almost as I need a few odd parts here and there. I told my wife that I can get more money by putting them together than if I sell them for parts. Never really said I was going to sell them though.;) ;)

My goal right now is to hit 40mph for under $150. If all goes well, I'll do it next summer.

Bufferoo

Spraguepsycho1
11-11-2003, 08:22 PM
I first watched r/c boats race back in the late 70's at a park in Los Angeles (think it may have been Legg lake, or Whittier Narrows). My father decided to build a race boat, so when he bought his ABS hull, he bought me a Dumas SK-Daddle Too kit so I could learn to build a boat myself (I think he was hoping having my own boat would keep my hands off his lol). Needless to say Dad got his boat assembled quickly, since he had less to build, then got frustrated with not being able to figure out how to dial in the surface drive (boat flipped sideways every time he hit the throttle lol) so he got out of boats. My kit sat partially built for about 25 years and I finally decided to finish the project. I have a OS CV .12 out of my RC10GT that I am going to try in the SK-Daddle first, and I want to use a surface drive set up on the flatbottom hull instead if the submerged straight drivethat Dumas recommends. IF it handles ok wit hthe 12, I might pull the CV-R .15 out of my RC10 and see how it works with twice as much power. The boat was originally designed for a .19 or .20 engine, but I think the 15cv-r makes more power than the bigger engines did back in the 70's. Eventually I would love to find a .21RZ-M to put in it or another high performance .21. Here's what I have so far

Spraguepsycho1
11-11-2003, 08:26 PM
Front and rear views of the SK-Daddle Too

Spraguepsycho1
11-11-2003, 08:30 PM
rear

550racer
11-11-2003, 10:03 PM
im a newbe for boats but my first RC was cars them cheep tycos i played with them for a while then they sat then one day i had the urge to get a RC boat ive watched them over at the club here but i never got deep into till now i started with electrics then got a nitro all RTRs i plan on gettin a seaducer very soon

bugfanatic
11-11-2003, 10:50 PM
I built my first boat back in the mid 70's. I bought a Dumas Miss Bud kit made for an 049 engine & hand built it. It was the old style unlimited hull that took an Allison-style airplane engine. I figured if it went that fast with an 049, a 40 would make it scream! The tank for this monster engine was so big that the center area of the hydro looked like a Mack truck. I ran it on a tether around & around as it was too small for a radio. It went so ungodly fast that by the time the tank ran out I was green & dizzy. Remember, with a tether you stand in the center as the boat goes in circles & there were no cordless drills unless you wanted to spend a mint. So, this first hydro was started with a regular drill & a starting belt. Once it was running I gathered all my stuff & headed for the pond. Then you tweaked the mixture, filled the tank & waded out into the water with your 30' tether with the boat running the whole time. No throttle control, no stop, no nothing. You just hoped your stomach held out longer than your tank of fuel. Finally, the compression of that 40 tore a gaping hole out of the bottom of the hull once when I tried to start it. 2 pieces. In one hand the boat, in the other hand the 40 engine with the motor mounts & a 4" x 4" piece of hull bottom.

Then, in the late 70's I saved up all my cash for what seemed forever & road my bike down to the hobby shop & bought an AM Futaba radio. I played with that electric boat for a while & as I got older, I built more hydros & scale boats. Back then you had no rechargeable batteries, it was dry-cells or nothing! The only motors you really had to choose from were Mabuchi motors. So, I built mostly scale boats.

Then in the mid 80's Lindberg made this 30" plastic PT-109 kit that was just begging to be RC'd - so I continued building scale boats to fetch my nitro boats when they died. I've always liked V's but my first love was unlimited hydro.

Now I own several boats & every winter pick another boat to build as a project. This winter I'm going nostalgiac & building up another Lindberg PT boat.

lovinnitro
11-12-2003, 12:59 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmm....

What got me hooked?

THIS PLACE!:D

hydroracer
11-12-2003, 01:08 AM
my first gas rc was a cox .049 trainer plane and i crashed it the first flight. 1982, 11 years old and pissed off, i built a dumas lil swamp buggy airboat and put the salvaged cox .049 on that with a pusher prop. i never looked back :) i jumped straight to hydroplanes from there. my first was a dumas "thriftway too" scale boat powered with a watercooled enya .19 airplane engine that i had to start with a rope hand wound around the flywheel each pull. :rolleyes: the next was an OPS .45 powered dumas quickee 40 outrigger. several boats later, i now run a .21 eagle sg, a .45 eagle sg, a .21 seaducer, and a 6 cell blizzard rigger.

i'm considering gas now :eek:

oh yeah, those scale pt boats are neat too. one of these days i'll build a classic tug or something

scorpien boats
11-13-2003, 06:59 PM
i am growing up in a family that loves boats my parents have this boat....

so i have always been looking for rc boats (since i was nine) all i could find was nikko ones. i dident even know there was sutch a think as boats that i have now...

last spring i got my first "real" rc boat kyosho bladerunner than i got hit by a car on my bike when the boat was in my backpack and so it was trashed so than i got my nitro vee

Spraguepsycho1
11-13-2003, 07:26 PM
That's a nice looking boat Scorpien, I have a 19' 1976 Witchcraft jet boat I am working on rebuilding the engine in.

scorpien boats
11-13-2003, 11:21 PM
lol that is how i got my name on here because it is a scorpion

doubledog i know u have been wanting this pic for a long time now so here it is

the engines! twin 800hp supercharged by bam marine lol total of 1600hp in that boat

scorpien boats
11-13-2003, 11:25 PM
ps. sounds like a fun project good luck

Spraguepsycho1
11-14-2003, 10:52 AM
Thanks, it's going to be fun when it's finished, but it will only have 450 to 500hp lol. The only reason I bought it was it was only $1,000 with the trailer because the Oldsmobile 455 had frozen in the winter and cracked the block. New engine and get some new interior and I'm ready to go skiing. Top speed is only about 65mph max, but it gets there realllllll quick. lol

scorpien boats
11-14-2003, 09:24 PM
jet boats are fun and i love to water ski (cant water ski on my boat because the x demention is high for speed and so its tuff to plane

but the top speed of this boat in about 2-3 foot waves is about 100-105 mph!

when its flat its only about 90-95mph

haljmac
11-14-2003, 09:46 PM
Can you smell the NITRO?????????
I walk into a LHS and I was told that I would never build a boat that will kick@$$.
Now that the nitro is in the blood, and I am a addict, and can't go more than 2 minutes with out thinking about what I'm going to build next.

Ron Olson
11-15-2003, 06:50 PM
Back in the early '70's good friend of mine had some R/C planes and boats. I tried my hand at crashing planes then decided to try boats. I had an early Dumas Hot Shot, a Hughey 21 'rigger and a little Dumas mono. I got rid of those and went racing R/C cars for a while, both electric and nitro. My wife started bitchin' about how much money I was dumping into them and that there were too many kids racing them. I unloaded them and got back into the boating scene and have been here since. Older people and a lot more relaxed atmosphere plus lower costs (yeah, right!).

lovinnitro
11-15-2003, 10:23 PM
Hehehehe "lower cost?" was the wife's response to reading what you just posted!

I tried that one too Ron.............

It didn't work for me either :rolleyes:

Doubledog
11-16-2003, 04:11 AM
I just love boats.

Outboard powered preferebly. My favorites are the Hydrostreadms, Allisons, STV's, and most race boats. If any of you remember the Mod VP boats from back in the 80's, those are what I dreamed of racing.

Having said that, I owned my first real boat at 9 w/10hp Johnson. Fished the hell out of that boat till I was 17.

During that time, I'd saved up all my grass cutting money, farming peanuts, anything to raise the money and plus my father helped, but I bought a 2 year old Stratos bass boat with a new in box 150 Mariner Magnum II. Talk about the looks on peoples faces when a 'kid' showed up with what was considered a pretty hot bass boat for the day. Just me and a few buds, girls or who ever wanted to join us for the day.

I had three props.... a regular bass prop for everyday running, a Chopper over hub for top end, (suxked on holeshot) and a low pitch alum for skiing. Man, we could pull three 180 lb dudes with that thing.

Anyhow, my real passion is full scale outboard boats as you can tell, but when I was 18 I picked up a Tower hobbies flyer and saw the Prather Lap cat 1. Bought it and was in love instantly.

R/c boats for me is a fun hobby, but they are getting much more attention than they normally would. If I were home in Florida, I'd keep one ready to take out on the boat for fun. But as it is, I'm not there, boats are not that popular in my area so you don't see them everyday and the passion has to start somewhere's.

With the r/c, they are easy to store, pull out and work on then put back without much disturbence. But when we get the new full size boat, the r/c will not get nearly the attention. .

lovinnitro
11-17-2003, 11:27 AM
Hheheh just wait Double, Once you run the rc with the full size you'll be even more hooked.

Doubledog
11-17-2003, 01:30 PM
Look what we just picked up yesterday:)

A little classic for the lazy summer days. Hope I'm home next year to enjoy it.:eek:

lovinnitro
11-17-2003, 04:29 PM
Post more pics man. That thing looks wicked cool